You can remove the read-only restriction from the copy on your PC by
following the instructions below:
1. Highlight the file and right-click; a menu should appear alongside the file.
2. Select properties from the menu.
3. A new window will appear displaying the properties.
4. At the bottom of the General tab of the properties window are the attributes.
5. Uncheck the ?Read-only? attribute.
6. Click OK.
You should now be free to make changes to the file.
You cannot remove the read-only restriction of the file on the CD-ROM,
because the CD-ROM, by its nature, is a read-only medium.
If you require any further help or clarification, please let me know.
Request for Answer Clarification by
29 Nov 2004 02:50 PST
Dear lotd-ga: Your instructions solved the Read-Only problem, but
introduced another one in its place: Now I have a wide right margin
with red notations on it telling me what editing changes (deletions,
italics-changes, etc.) I've made. I don't want those proofreader's
notations! What happened? How do I get rid of the proofreading
marks? This is not a new question, just a clarification of the old
one, which I'll gladly pay for (ID 435016).