Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Michigan Termporary Operator License Usage ( Answered 5 out of 5 stars,   0 Comments )
Subject: Michigan Termporary Operator License Usage
Category: Miscellaneous
Asked by: ppadala-ga
List Price: $5.00
Posted: 17 Feb 2006 10:46 PST
Expires: 19 Mar 2006 10:46 PST
Question ID: 446998
I have passed the required tests for a Michigan driver's license, and
just received the Temporary Operator License. It will take two to
three weeks before I receive the real license (with my photo on it). I
would like to know whether I can use the temporary license for driving
any where in the United States? I also want to know whether I can use
it to rent a car
along with a photo ID? Are there any restrictions on this temporary license (any
links to goverment specifications would be great)

Let me know if you need further information
Subject: Re: Michigan Termporary Operator License Usage
Answered By: weisstho-ga on 17 Feb 2006 16:26 PST
Rated:5 out of 5 stars
Dear ppadala-ga,

Congratulations on Passing!  

I am an attorney in Michigan and have had some experience in this
area. The Michigan Vehicle Code, section 301 (Michigan Compiled Laws
257.301), found at:
only requires a valid operator?s license, which the paper copy
certainly is. You can drive to your heart?s content, so long as there
are no restrictions contained on the temporary license form that you
were provided.

Here is a link to the Michigan Traffic Benchbook which is published by
the Michigan Judicial Institute, the organization that provides
training to judges and court staff.  You might find their description
of license offenses helpful.

As to renting a car . . . that is totally up to the agency. And they
all differ a bit. Typically though, if you are 25 or older (almost no
agency will rent to people under 25) and have a valid license and
photo I.D. and a credit card that they can hit if you damage the
vehicle (they essentially have insurance with a high deductible that
you are taking responsibility for) ? if you have all of that ? they
will rent a car to you.  I have rented a car before with a temporary
license and had no problem.

Make sure, though, to call the car rental agency (their 800 number
would be fine ? you don?t need the local agency) and explain who you
are and what you want to do. Get their name and write it down along
with the confirmation number in case there is a later question.

Drive Safely!!


p.s.  Anything else??  Just hit the Clarification Button!

Search Strategy
Michigan Vehicle Code
Michigan Judicial Institute
ppadala-ga rated this answer:5 out of 5 stars
Thanks for researching this for me. I have actually rented a car, and
everything was smooth.

Cheers !

There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy