Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Photo enforcement of red light violation in another state. ( Answered 4 out of 5 stars,   0 Comments )
Subject: Photo enforcement of red light violation in another state.
Category: Miscellaneous
Asked by: geo330-ga
List Price: $5.00
Posted: 30 Dec 2004 19:59 PST
Expires: 29 Jan 2005 19:59 PST
Question ID: 449518
While driving in MD my auto was photographed going thru a red light. I
live in NC. The notice was mailed to my NC address. It states that the
max civil penalty is $100. The notice says I should send in $75.  The
notice says no points can be placed on my driving record and my
insurance cannot be affected by the civil penalty.  The notice says if
I don't pay my auto vehicle registration can be refused or suspended.
Being out of state what can MD do to me in NC?
Subject: Re: Photo enforcement of red light violation in another state.
Answered By: siliconsamurai-ga on 28 Jan 2005 11:49 PST
Rated:4 out of 5 stars
Hi, thank you for submitting your question to Answers.Google, I hope I
can provide the information you are seeking.

The short answer is that they can keep piling on late fees and
additional costs, eventually getting the bill high enough that a court
in the originating state can issue an arrest warrant.

That shouldn?t make any difference unless you happen to get stopped
for another violation or anything else in Maryland, in which case you
will find yourself assuming the position and probably spending at
least one night in jail, paying all the accumulated fines and court
costs, along with the costs involved in impounding your vehicle.

You may have considerably more problems if they search your vehicle
and find anything they don?t like.

In addition, there will be costs involved with the bench warrant even
if you voluntarily appear before the court to settle up your debt to

But these days things can get considerably worse.

A bench warrant having been issued in one state, you may show up on
the NCIC computer system anywhere in the country, if not now, then
eventually, especially with the many things the government is now
doing in the name of national security and homeland security.

Google search term: traffic fine from another state

You will find some interesting reading at

Since this is a photo-violation you may be able to argue that it
wasn?t you or your car, but I doubt this would be successful and would
really annoy the judge.

Also, even though paying the fine may not show up on your record as
far as points or insurance companies, certainly having an outstanding
ticket and especially the eventual warrant, would show up on any in
depth background search to future employment or other activities.

All in all, if you are looking for advice as well as information, even
though you'll probably get away with it, I?d mail the check ASAP just
to be on the safe side. Think of it as a form of taxation.

Thank you again for turning to Answers.Google for help. I believe this
answers your question.
geo330-ga rated this answer:4 out of 5 stars
I asked the question and accepted the answer-----so I paid the civil Penality
Thanks geo330-ga

There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy