Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Live in California, will marry in Connecticut, need marriage license ( Answered 4 out of 5 stars,   2 Comments )
Subject: Live in California, will marry in Connecticut, need marriage license
Category: Family and Home > Families
Asked by: moskow23-ga
List Price: $9.50
Posted: 03 Jan 2005 13:56 PST
Expires: 02 Feb 2005 13:56 PST
Question ID: 451182
My fiance and I live in San Francisco but we're getting married in
West Hartford, CT in March 2005.  This is really a simple question,
I'm just too lazy/busy to do the research.  What paperwork and/or
bloodwork do we need to fill out in order to get a proper marriage
license?  I don't even know if we need to do it in CT or CA, since I
have no idea what the law says.  I also don't know anything about the
timeframe and if it even has to be before the wedding or not.  An
ideal answer would be a list of simple (preferably online) steps I can
take to ensure that we're married legally.

Request for Question Clarification by tutuzdad-ga on 03 Jan 2005 14:16 PST
Does this adequately answer your questions?



Request for Question Clarification by tutuzdad-ga on 03 Jan 2005 14:21 PST
I might also add that there isn't much one can do to hasten a marriage
in Connecticut. That state requires the couple to appear in person to
sign documents and also to have blood tests.

Again, please let me know if the source is acceptible to you.


Clarification of Question by moskow23-ga on 03 Jan 2005 15:41 PST
I'm not even sure that I need to be reading the Connecticut laws or
the California laws, that is part of my question.  Also, we will not
be in Connecticut until 1 week before our wedding, so what should we
Subject: Re: Live in California, will marry in Connecticut, need marriage license
Answered By: tutuzdad-ga on 03 Jan 2005 16:06 PST
Rated:4 out of 5 stars
Dear moskow23-ga;

Ok, here?s the deal?

In order to get married in Connecticut you have to have a Connecticut
marriage license. The marriage will be valid in California but you
have to get a Connecticut marriage license in order to be married in
that state. There?s no way around that. Each state has their own laws
concerning marriage. California laws do not apply, and have nothing
whatsoever to do with a marriage in the state of Connecticut (or any
other state for that matter).

You'll typically need to apply for your marriage license at least one
month before your wedding ceremony; TOGETHER AND IN PERSON.

You COULD conceivably do everything that must be done in a week?s time
but there?s no way around the ?together? and ?in person? part.
Unfortunately there?s nothing you can do online to get around this

You will need to have blood tests. That?s the law in Connecticut. You
can download this form and have your test done in advance

Normally the State Health Department Laboratory of the state in which
you reside can perform the test as long as the state in which you
reside has a similar law. BUT, since California does not have a
comparable law, you have to be tested in Connecticut (or a state that
does have such a testing law). Having already had your blood test may
speed up the process some, however, the completed form must then be
presented to the town clerk IN THE CONNECTICUT TOWN IN WHICH YOU

Once you obtain a Connecticut marriage license, it is only good for 65
days. If you do not marry in that time, well, the process starts over

Below you will find that I have carefully defined my search strategy
for you in the event that you need to search for more information. By
following the same type of searches that I did you may be able to
enhance the research I have provided even further. I hope you find
that my research exceeds your expectations. If you have any questions
about my research please post a clarification request prior to rating
the answer. Otherwise, I welcome your rating and your final comments
and I look forward to working with you again in the near future. Thank
you for bringing your question to us.

Best regards;
Tutuzdad ? Google Answers Researcher





Google ://





Clarification of Answer by tutuzdad-ga on 03 Jan 2005 17:40 PST
One of my genius colleagues has come up with an interesting alternate
plan, if you are up to a little sleight of hand.

Perhaps you and your betrothed can secretly marry in a no-frills,
civil ceremony in California shortly before your departure (where
there are fewer requirements and filing the necessary papers is much
more convenient for you). Nothing fancy, just an informal (but legal)
marriage in front of a judge or a justice of peace. File your papers
under California law so that it?s absolutely legal. Viola! You are
legally married on paper!

Then, a few days later, depart for Connecticut and carry on with your
wedding as if everything was as you originally planned (except for the
headache of going through all the miserable red tape that Connecticut
requires). You can have a glorious wedding complete with guests, a
minister (or whomever), your wedding gown, your reception and all that
goes with it, without having to sign so much as a single document or
have a test of any kind. And best of all, there's no waiting and no
maximum time you have to stay in the state. Since there?s no law in
Connecticut that requires anyone to register, license or have any
medical tests in order to RENEW their vows, you?ll be home free and
have your dream wedding in Connecticut without anyone but the three of
you (you, your new spouse, and your officiant) being the wiser.

This might be even more memorable if you and your ?finance? marry in
California but carry on as if you were not yet married, saving that
for the Connecticut wedding as well. Alternatively of course you could
let your guests know in advance that you are already married but that
may spoil it.

Brilliant idea, I thought. Thanks Pinkfreud-ga.


Request for Answer Clarification by moskow23-ga on 03 Jan 2005 17:58 PST
Okay, I like this idea about doing it in CA.  In that case, can I do
pretty much everything online?

Clarification of Answer by tutuzdad-ga on 03 Jan 2005 18:41 PST
Unfortunately, no, there?s nothing you can do online. As in most other
states, California couples must also appear in person to apply.

The beauty of it though is that in many locations in California you
can apply BY APPOINTMENT. Simply call the San Francisco County Clerk's
office at 415-554-4176 and see if this is offered in your area. Then
all you have to do is take your $69 fee with you and run down there at
the appointed time, do the required paperwork without having to stand
in line, and since there?s no waiting period, if an authorized
official such as a judge or justice is handy you can even get married
right then and there in the County Courthouse and turn your signed
license right back in to the clerk all in just a few minutes.

?Ceremonies are at 10 am, and from 12 noon through 3 pm. Call
415-252-3282. There is a 24-hour notice required to reschedule.? (This
usually costs about $30).

You?ll walk out of there just as married as anyone else in the United States is.


Keep in mind that an official typically expects a small gratuity for
his or her trouble.

From there you just go home, make plans for the big day in Connecticut
and try your best not to let the cat out of the bag.

As a bonus, you can opt to have your marriage confidential, meaning
that nothing about it is published and no one except the couple have
access to the records. A witness is not even required for this type of
ceremony. In order to choose this option though, you and your finance
have to be living together already.



San Francisco Marriage License Bureau:
City Hall, Room 168
1 Dr. Carlton Goodlett Pl.
San Francisco, CA 94102
Office hours: Monday through Friday 8 am to 4 pm
moskow23-ga rated this answer:4 out of 5 stars
Thanks for the information, especially the idea about doing it in CA!

Subject: Re: Live in California, will marry in Connecticut, need marriage license
From: konew-ga on 04 Feb 2005 05:22 PST
Connecticut no longer requires blood tests.  A marriage license must
be obtained in either the CT town that the wedding will take place
(West Hartford), the  CT  town that the groom lives in, or the  CT
town that the bridge lives in.  The bride and groom must appear,
individually or together, in the Town Clerk's office to sign the
marriage license.  Bring valid ID.  License is good for 65 days and
can be obtained in most towns on the day of the marriage.  Check with
West Hartford to be sure.  I am a CT JP so I know this is current law.
Subject: Marriage License in CT
From: mp12-ga on 30 May 2005 07:23 PDT
CT no longer requires blood tests or waiting periods.


Before you can get married in Connecticut, you need a marriage license. 

How to Apply 

There is no residency requirement in Connecticut; both bride and groom
may live elsewhere.
The marriage license may be obtained in one of the couple's towns of
residence or in the town where the marriage will take place.
Both the prospective bride and groom must apply for the license in
person, but not necessarily together. If the application is signed by
the parties on different dates, then the earlier date is considered
the official application date.
If they go to the Town Clerk where one of them lives, that person must
present documentation (a valid driver's license or a utility bill, for
example) proving residency.
The application asks for your name, age, race, birthplace, residence
and marital status. You must swear that the information is true.
The application fee is $30. Call the Town Clerk before going to verify
hours open and whether cash or check is acceptable.
The license will be issued immediately after all requirements have
been met. It must be signed by the bride and groom and the Town Clerk
who also stamps it with a raised seal. The license is valid for 65
Blood Test No Longer Required 
Effective October 1, 2003, Connecticut no longer requires premarital
syphilis and rubella screening.  The state finally heeded the counsel
of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and repealed
mandatory blood tests.
Getting Married

If either bride or groom is under 18, a parent must consent to the
marriage by signing the back of the license. If under 16, a Probate
Judge must also endorse the consent.
All Connecticut JPs may perform marriages anywhere in the state.  
Connecticut does not require any witnesses to the marriage. 
Filing the Completed License

The JP (or whoever performs the marriage) is responsible for
indicating (in black ink) the time and place of the marriage on the
license  and returning it to the Town Clerk where the marriage took
place.. This must be done by the first week of the month following the
You can request a copy of the completed marriage license from the Town
Clerk's office. The cost is $5.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy