Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: academic degrees in Britain ( Answered 5 out of 5 stars,   0 Comments )
Subject: academic degrees in Britain
Category: Reference, Education and News > General Reference
Asked by: addie09-ga
List Price: $2.50
Posted: 05 Jan 2005 08:55 PST
Expires: 04 Feb 2005 08:55 PST
Question ID: 452391
In the colleges of Cambridge before world war II, what is the meaning
of the degree BA Cantab?
Subject: Re: academic degrees in Britain
Answered By: thx1138-ga on 05 Jan 2005 09:07 PST
Rated:5 out of 5 stars
Hello addie09 and thank you for your question.

" 'Cantab' is the abbreviation which, placed after such academic
letters as B.A. or M.A. indicates that the degree in question was
obtained in Cantabrigiensis - the Latin for Cambridge."

Also see:

1. Especially used in abbreviations of academic degrees:
Cantabrigiensis (Latin), belonging to Cambridge.

Thank you for your question, and if you need any clarification of my
answer, do not hesitate to ask before rating my answer.

Very best regards.


Search strategy included:
"BA Cantab" abbreviations
addie09-ga rated this answer:5 out of 5 stars
short, clear and extremely helpful. Precisely what I needed.

There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy