Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: US company filings ( Answered 5 out of 5 stars,   1 Comment )
Subject: US company filings
Category: Business and Money
Asked by: macaonghus-ga
List Price: $2.00
Posted: 30 Jan 2005 07:26 PST
Expires: 01 Mar 2005 07:26 PST
Question ID: 465785
In the UK, I can go to the Companies House website and look up the
annual reports/filings of private companies (who are registered, eg
Ltd). What is the US equivalent website?
Subject: Re: US company filings
Answered By: efn-ga on 30 Jan 2005 07:56 PST
Rated:5 out of 5 stars
Hi macaonghus,

The United States equivalent is EDGAR, operated by the Securities and
Exchange Commission.

From the home page:

"All companies, foreign and domestic, are required to file
registration statements, periodic reports, and other forms
electronically through EDGAR. Anyone can access and download this
information for free. Here you'll find links to a complete list of
filings available through EDGAR and instructions for searching the
EDGAR database."


Request for Answer Clarification by macaonghus-ga on 31 Jan 2005 03:23 PST
I thought EDGAR was just for listed companies, I am looking for
specific private companies which have traded for years and have
turnover of around $2 million, and they are not there.

Clarification of Answer by efn-ga on 31 Jan 2005 09:09 PST
Hi macaonghus,

Sorry I missed that point.

Getting this kind of information is a two-step process.  First, you
must determine in which state the business is registered.  Then you
must seek information from the Secretary of State of that state.  You
may have to pay for the information.

A FAQ answer from the National Association of Secretaries of State says:

"Q: How can I find out more about the status of a business or corporation?

A: Currently, state governments do not offer a "national" database
that can be searched. However, many states have their own online
databases that you can use to get information on businesses and
corporations. If you know which state your target corporation is
registered in, you can check the state site by visiting our Business
Registration & Filings page, and choosing the state from the
scroll-down list. If your state does not offer a searchable database,
try calling the state business office for assistance."


A commercial service called KnowX can search by name or corporate ID
number and tell you in which states a name is registered.  However, to
get more information than that, you have to pay them.

Once you know the state, you can pursue information from that state's
Secretary of State.  The National Association of Secretaries of State
doesn't actually have a list of state websites on the Business
Registration and Filing Services page as the FAQ answer says, but that
page links to other more specialized pages that do have those lists.

Business Registration and Filing Services

Corporate Registration

Uniform Commercial Code Filings

Other Filings

I hope this is a more satisfactory answer.


Request for Answer Clarification by macaonghus-ga on 31 Jan 2005 10:12 PST
Thats a good answer and I am happy to accept it and rate it a 5. If
you want to find the website where I can check California-registered
companies, I will add a tip.

Clarification of Answer by efn-ga on 31 Jan 2005 13:56 PST
I can't work on that right now, but if you can give me ten hours, I'm
sure I can help you.

Request for Answer Clarification by macaonghus-ga on 31 Jan 2005 13:56 PST
Sure, anytime in the next 3 days is fine.

Clarification of Answer by efn-ga on 31 Jan 2005 18:55 PST
For information about California businesses, a good place to start is
the California Business Search page of the California Business Portal
in the Secretary of State's website.

Only a limited amount of information is available on-line.  The
Corporate Records page tells you about how you can buy more.

You can get information about Uniform Commercial Code filings through
the UCC Connect service.  You can "conduct web inquiries, place
orders, and submit filings" without subscribing to the service, but
you will have to identify yourself fairly thoroughly.

I hope this meets your need.

macaonghus-ga rated this answer:5 out of 5 stars and gave an additional tip of: $5.00

Subject: Re: US company filings
From: efn-ga on 03 Feb 2005 21:40 PST
Thank you for the rating and the tip.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy