Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: boating ( Answered,   1 Comment )
Subject: boating
Category: Sports and Recreation > Outdoors
Asked by: brooks_man-ga
List Price: $5.00
Posted: 30 Jul 2002 08:38 PDT
Expires: 29 Aug 2002 08:38 PDT
Question ID: 46888
How can I check to find if a person has a current Coast guard captains license?
Subject: Re: boating
Answered By: huntsman-ga on 31 Jul 2002 06:17 PDT
The United States Coast Guard has a general Customer Service number at
1-800-368-5647. I called this number and asked about this type of

They referred me to the closest USCG Regional Examination Center
A list of these can be seen online at:

   USCG Regional Examination Centers (REC)
   Contact info

Since they were open early compared to my location, I called the New
York REC at:

   U.S. Coast Guard 
   Activities New York 
   Regional Examination Center 
   Battery Park Building 
   New York, NY 10004-8545 
   Phone: 1-212-668-7492

The staffer I spoke to said it was possible to find out if a person
has a current U.S. Coast Guard Captain's license, and that you should
make this request through your closest REC.

However, you must *mail them a written request* that explains in
detail who you are and who the individual is that you're inquiring
about. You must also explain why you need this information. For
example, is this person a prospective employee?

As you may know, Coast Guard licenses expire after five years. The New
York REC stated that the Coast Guard keeps license records on file
even after they have expired.

If you have any further questions, please speak with the closest USCG
REC as found above.

Thank you,

Search Terms & Google Results - 

   coast guard 

   "coast guard" captain's license renew
Subject: Re: boating
From: edusbains-ga on 31 Jul 2002 01:04 PDT
If you're talking about the US, the obvious starting point would be
the US Coast Guard. Have you tried their website?

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy