Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Tax Code ( Answered,   2 Comments )
Subject: Tax Code
Category: Business and Money > Consulting
Asked by: oilguy-ga
List Price: $10.00
Posted: 31 Jul 2002 12:51 PDT
Expires: 30 Aug 2002 12:51 PDT
Question ID: 47604
I have a substantial tax loss in my business, and understand "IRS rule
269" speaks to its use.  I've searched IRS Code, Section 269 etc.. but
can't find it.  I'd like to know (1) how to find it and (2) how to use

Request for Question Clarification by mwalcoff-ga on 31 Jul 2002 13:38 PDT
Are you by any chance looking for a rule that deals with the
disallowance of credits, deductions or allowances under certain
Subject: Re: Tax Code
Answered By: expertlaw-ga on 05 Aug 2002 23:14 PDT
Dear oilguy,

The conduct of the IRS is governed by the tax code, Section 26 of the
United States Code. It is further governed by an extensive set of
regulations which interpret the code.

"IRS Rule 269" appears to be a reference to Section 269 of the
Internal Revenue Code, or 26 USC 269. You can find that document

The regulations which assist in the interpretation of that section of
the Internal Revenue Code can also be found online as part of the
"Code of Federal Regulations": 

IRC Section 269 relates to the tax consequences resulting from the
acquisition of a company by a different company or individual. If the
primary purpose of obtaining the company (or a controlling interest in
the company) was to obtain a tax deduction, credit or allowance with
the person or company would not otherwise enjoy, the deduction,
credit, or allowance may be disallowed.

Note that the language is permissive - there is a big difference
between a deduction that "may" be disallowed and a deduction that
"must" be disallowed. If possible, it would be important for a person
or company which might be confronted with that language to try to get
an advance ruling, as to whether part or all of the deduction, credit
or allowance would be disallowed.

If your company has engaged in conduct which implicates this section
of the tax code, you should be able to avoid its application by
establishing that the primary purpose of your acquisition was not to
obtain a tax deduction, credit, or allowance relating to the losses
you incurred as a result of the acquisition. If you do not think you
can prove that you had a different purpose in mind, or to cover your
bases in case the IRS does not accept your explanation, you would need
to prepare arguments under subsection (c) which might convince the IRS
to nonetheless allow part or all of the deduction, credit, or
allowance at issue.

The IRS provides some examples on the application of this rule,
through the regulation posted at

If after reviewing the statute you do not believe it is relevant to
your situation, please clarify your question, providing additional
information about where you heard about "IRS rule 269" and why you
were told it might apply to your situation.

Additional Links:

* You can look up the United States Code by chapter and section on the
Cornell Law School website, at 

* The Code of Federal Regulations is online on the Government Printing
Office website, at 

* The IRS offers assistance with tax law questions through its
website, at,,i1%3D44%26genericId%3D13162,00.html

Good luck,

- expertlaw
Subject: Re: Tax Code
From: expertlaw-ga on 31 Jul 2002 14:14 PDT
Any reference to the tax code is to Chapter 26 of the U.S. Code. Thus
"Section 269" refers to 26 USC 269 -

You can look up the code by chapter and section at .
Subject: Re: Tax Code
From: weisstho-ga on 31 Jul 2002 18:35 PDT
I keep bumping up against expertlaw-ga (and most agreeably, I may
add). I would like to supplement his citation to the United States
Code with the Internal Revenue Regulations found in the Code of
Federal Regulations:

Section 269 is covered in Sections 1.269-1 through 1.269-7 (see )

As mwalcoff-ga implies in the request for clarification, Section 269
addresses disallowance of credits, deductions or allowances; it does
however contain a number of illustrations and provisions enabling one
to tax plan a method whereby the tax losses may be utilized.
Good luck, weisstho-ga

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy