Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Cell phones in the Ukraine ( Answered 5 out of 5 stars,   1 Comment )
Subject: Cell phones in the Ukraine
Category: Relationships and Society > Law
Asked by: tarius-ga
List Price: $5.00
Posted: 23 Feb 2005 23:07 PST
Expires: 25 Mar 2005 23:07 PST
Question ID: 479836
I have a Sprint PCS phone, with Qualcomm 3G CDMA technology. Can I
bring my cell phone to the Ukraine? Will the PCS phone work? I
understand that must obtain prior consent from the Ukranian goverment
before bring devices like cell phones to the Ukraine. If my cell phone
will work in the Ukraine, how do I go about bringing into the Ukraine
Subject: Re: Cell phones in the Ukraine
Answered By: skermit-ga on 23 Feb 2005 23:32 PST
Rated:5 out of 5 stars
Unfortunately Ukraine, much like its European neighbors, and the
greater part of the world uses GSM as its cell service standard. Your
CDMA phone will not work. There are many GSM phones you can purchase
in the United States, and as long as its service-unlocked you will be
able to use it on US GSM services (T-Mobile and Cingular), but you
will also be able to take it over to Ukraine and purchase a SIM card
for use in the phone once you get there. Sorry to give you the bad


Clarification of Answer by skermit-ga on 23 Feb 2005 23:35 PST
Here are the coverage maps for providers in the Ukraine as well as
links to the service providers:

tarius-ga rated this answer:5 out of 5 stars and gave an additional tip of: $1.00

Subject: Re: Cell phones in the Ukraine
From: shmuel84-ga on 25 Feb 2005 01:45 PST
You can attempt to use Global SIM card from company Cell Wireless
Corporation. It will be work in Ukraine as well as in other 208
countries that this card has included. More details you can see here: 
Be sure it will be legal according Ukrainian low. Moreover, you don?t
need to pay a roaming!

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy