Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: control TV sound ( Answered 5 out of 5 stars,   2 Comments )
Subject: control TV sound
Category: Miscellaneous
Asked by: tomtmo-ga
List Price: $25.00
Posted: 27 Feb 2005 06:11 PST
Expires: 29 Mar 2005 06:11 PST
Question ID: 481735
I would like to know if I can buy a device for my tv that keeps the
sound at the same level all of the time. when I watch movies like Star Wars talking
seans are hard to hear when I keep the volum low so as not to blow my
ears off when a sean has space ships coming into view. the sound go's
up and down all the time. I know sound freeks like to hear the loud
noies and spend money for seround sound. I just want to listen to tv
so I don't wake up the whole block. Pleas help me
Thanks tontmo-ga
Subject: Re: control TV sound
Answered By: siliconsamurai-ga on 27 Feb 2005 06:43 PST
Rated:5 out of 5 stars
Hi, thank you for submitting your question to Answers.Google, I hope I
can provide the information you are seeking.

The answer is a qualified yes.

There are devices which can moderate the volume increases which you
experience with many commercials. In many instances these aren?t
really permitted to be any louder and technically many aren?t but the
sound is carefully tweaked to make them seem louder.

There are also devices which can take out the bad words from movies
and TV, but neither technology is perfect and, unless it is already
built into your television set, you will need to install a separate
amplifier and speaker system since you can?t rewire the set
internally. This doesn't need to be some massive surround system but
you do need something additional to make the controls work so why not
consider a low-end home theatre system?

By the way, the same volume control device works for DVD players,
radio tuners (not receivers), VHS players, virtually any audio
component system where there are standard RCA cable connectors which
run between source and amplifiers.

The least expensive and most readily available volume control unit is
found at your neighborhood Radio Shack.

The Terk TV Commercial Volume Regulator (Catalog #: 15-2502) isn?t
just for commercials.

The catalog description points out that it also increases the volume
of hard-to-hear programs.

You can purchase this item online for $49.99 plus tax but shipping is free.

There is a more detailed explanation of how the same unit works at

(Disclaimer, I am a SmartHome dealer (audio/home automation/security),
but don?t make any money from sales off of their Web site.)

Something called the Audio Leveler, is now discontinued but may be
available on eBay.

There is another variant available which is described at

but it has a list price of $250 which is why I recommended the Terk product.

Thank you again for turning to Answers.Google for help. If your TV
doesn?t have audio output connectors then you can?t use any of these.
If it does, you will need to have a component audio system. This means
that you turn the TV volume down, run the audio through the volume
controller to an amplifier and from there to speakers.

Yes, I know you don't want surround sound, but there is no real
option. This need not be very expensive. You can pick up inexpensive
home theatre audio systems for very little and the sound difference
over that produced by any but the largest projection TVs is

Actually I have two such systems, one cost several thousand dollars
more than the other and I have trouble telling the difference with my
eyes closed, so don't buy any more home theatre system than you need
to get the features you want.

You should have no problem buying both the home theatre
speakers/amplifier AND the Radio Shack volume control for less than
$100; spending more will give you slightly better sound, but for $100
you get farbetter sound than that provided by most TVs.

The only alternative to adding separate speakers and amplifier would
be to open the menu of your TV and adjust the basic audio settings to
enhance speech but reduce the low end volume. Most modern TV sets let
you select from a number of basic settings such as Movie, News, etc.
and some emphasize the frequencies used for speech. Others let you
directly balance the tone ? increase the high frequencies and reduce
the low frequencies. That won?t do a lot to alter the total volume but
will let you turn the volume lower and still understand the speech.

This won't work nearly as well, but it has the virtue of being free.
tomtmo-ga rated this answer:5 out of 5 stars
The answer was what I was looking for. I have asked lots of people I
know and no one knew. This service is great.
Thanks Tom

Subject: Re: control TV sound
From: siliconsamurai-ga on 27 Feb 2005 08:36 PST
Please be sure to read the entire answer, these devices are generally
known for their function in reducing the loudness of commercials,
hence the name, but there is nothing commercial-specific about their
function, they all just work to keep the average volume level about
the same, program or commercial.
Subject: Re: control TV sound
From: siliconsamurai-ga on 27 Feb 2005 09:29 PST
Glad I could help, thanks for the nice rating and I hope you recommend
the service to your friends.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy