Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Fees charged by registered homes for alults with learning disabilities, in u.k ( Answered,   2 Comments )
Subject: Fees charged by registered homes for alults with learning disabilities, in u.k
Category: Business and Money > Finance
Asked by: jodieanne-ga
List Price: $50.00
Posted: 10 Mar 2005 09:16 PST
Expires: 09 Apr 2005 10:16 PDT
Question ID: 491535
In the u.k there are three bands of fees paid to registered
residential homes for ADULTS with Learning Disabilities for the care
they provide. Each band is depends on the level of care needed by the
service user.

I need to know the exact amounts paid to the home's for each band.
Low, Medium, and high dependency.

Clarification of Question by jodieanne-ga on 10 Mar 2005 09:40 PST
Obviously i am in england, so it may take me a while to answer any
questions you may have for me. Thank you
Subject: Re: Fees charged by registered homes for alults with learning disabilities, in u.k
Answered By: thx1138-ga on 10 Mar 2005 10:22 PST
Hello jodieanne and thank you for your question.

The quick answer is:

Low=40  Medium=77.50  High=125  per week


For the details see:

"Eligibility Criteria for NHS Funded Continuing Care"

"9.6 Assessments to determine eligibility for NHS funded nursing care
in registered care homes are to be undertaken by a registered nurse
employed by the NHS and using the Registered Nursing Care Contribution
(RNCC) framework. Individuals will fall into one of three bandings:
high, medium or low, within the framework of stability,
predictability, risk and complexity.

9.7 The bands of registered nursing care correspond to a level of
funding (the indicative bands are, as at the 1st April 2004, 125,
77.50 and 40 per week respectively).

9.8 Professional judgement and an understanding of what is meant by
terms such as stability, predictability and risk, are essential in
applying the RNCC tool. The definitions are reproduced in the table on
page 18. There will be different permutations in different situations.
There can sometimes be unpredictability within a generally stable

"9.10 The High Band 

People with high needs for registered nursing care will have complex
needs that require frequent mechanical, technical and/or therapeutic
interventions. They will need frequent intervention and reassessment
by a registered nurse throughout a 24-hour period, and their
physical/mental health state will be unstable and/or unpredictable.

9.11 The Medium Band 

People whose needs for registered nursing care are judged to be in the
medium banding may have multiple care needs. They will require the
intervention of a registered nurse on at least a daily basis, and may
need access to a nurse at any time. However, their condition
(including physical, behavioural and psychosocial needs) is stable
andpredictable, and likely to remain so if treatment and care regimes

9.12 The Low Band 

The low band of need for nursing care will apply to people whose care
needs can be met with minimal registered nurse input. Assessment will
indicate that their needs couldnormally be met in another setting
(such as at home, or in a care home that does not provide nursing
care, with support from the district nurse), but they have chosen to
place themselves in a registered care home."


Also see:

"Under the terms of ?free nursing care? the Government states that the
NHS will pay for ?any services provided by a registered nurse
involving the provision of care, or the planning, supervision or
delegation of the provision of care, other than services which do not
need to be provided by a registered nurse.?

Each individual will be assessed and a level of funding established
according to this definition and within the three bandings defined by
the Department of Health.

The Department of Health operate three levels

High - For those with complex nursing care needs at 125 per week.
Medium - For those with standard nursing care needs at 77.50 per week.
Low - For minimal nursing input at 40 to 77.50 per week.
For many, the concern is that the level of funding provided through
this system may not directly meet an individuals nursing costs and
that consequently a shortfall may arise.

Claims should be made to the NHS co-coordinator via the care home and
payments awarded will be made directly from the National Health
Service to the care provider."!OpenDocument&Click=


Thank you for your question, and if you need any clarification of my
answer, do not hesitate to ask before rating my answer.

Very best regards,


Search strategy included:
"Registered Nursing Care Contribution" "77.50"

Request for Answer Clarification by jodieanne-ga on 11 Mar 2005 02:18 PST
Hi, and thank you for such a speedy response, but i do not feel the
the answer can be corect. This answer is refering to nursing care, to
people such as elderly or mental health patience, not specificaly fees
recived by homes for adults with learning disabilities. The fees in
question are not paid by the nhs, for nursing care, but by the social
  Here is an example of the fees charged by one home, but they only
set a guid line, i need to know the exact rates for each band, if

Thank you again, and i am sorry if i was not clear in my question:0)

Clarification of Answer by thx1138-ga on 11 Mar 2005 05:33 PST
Hello again Jodieanne

Don't worry about asking for clarification,  I'm here to help you get
the right answer to your question :-)

I'll carry out some more research and get back to you as soon as possible.

Very best regards


Clarification of Answer by thx1138-ga on 11 Mar 2005 07:41 PST
Hello again jodieanne

The example you cite ( Corich
Community Care Ltd, is a private limited company and they can set
their fees as they wish.

Benefits paid by Social Security for people with learning difficulties
include, Disability Living Allowance, Disabled Person?s Tax Credit and
Incapacity Benefit, but the three bands of fees for nursing care paid
to registered residential homes for adults with Learning Disabilities
are paid for by the NHS (according to the NHS:
and are: Low=40  Medium=77.50  High=125 per week.

From Company House:

"Name & Registered Office:
Company No. 02783652

Status: Active 
Date of Incorporation: 26/01/1993 
Country of Origin: United Kingdom 
Company Type: Private Limited Company
Nature of Business (SIC(92)):
8514 - Other human health activities
Accounting Reference Date: 31/03
Last Accounts Made Up To: 31/03/2004  (FULL)
Next Accounts Due: 31/01/2006
Last Return Made Up To: 26/01/2005
Next Return Due: 23/02/2006 
Last Members List: 26/01/2005"


Also see:

"People with learning disabilities and their families are entitled to
a range of benefits, such as Disability Living Allowance, Disabled
Person?s Tax Credit and Incapacity Benefit. Children and adults should
receive Disability Living Allowance if they need help looking after
themselves or getting about (in the case of children, more than would
be usual for their age). Since April 2001, the Government has stopped
providing what was known as Severe Disablement Allowance.

Looking into what financial help you are entitled to can seem quite
complicated and overwhelming. It?s possible to find out more about
benefits and how to claim them from your local social security office.
For your nearest office, look for the display advert under Benefits
Agency, in the business numbers section of the phone book. You can
also ask your social worker, or one of the voluntary agencies,
including the MindinfoLine."


That was the result of my research, if you would like any more help do
not hesitate to ask.  It would also be useful to know why you need the
information ie. are you compiling a research document or do you want
to know for a friend or relative, or are you considering opening a
home? It might help me to help you more specifically.  Also if you
would like to let me know which county you are in, I could put you in
contact withe the relevant governmental department.

Very best regards

Subject: Re: Fees charged by registered homes for alults with learning disabilities, in u.k
From: probonopublico-ga on 11 Mar 2005 09:31 PST
In fact, I know that some fees to Registered Homes are paid by the
Local Authorities and that they are individually negotiated.

I am not aware of any scales.

The fees have gone through the roof over the past few years, largely
triggered by the introduction of care standards monitored by the NCSC.
The care standards were so demanding that many proprietors got out of
the business, leaving a shortage of beds and the consequent hike in

I expect that there may be large regional variations.
Subject: Re: Fees charged by registered homes for alults with learning disabilities, in u.k
From: adeit-ga on 22 Mar 2005 05:55 PST
I am looking at the same issue, there appears to be a strong regional
variation which closely mirrors the private nursing homes (elderly)

Rcently my father was moved from a home in Wimbledon to here in N Wales.
The fees in London were 850 pw and up here they are 450 pw before
benefits ie the NHS allowance for nursing and Attendance Allowance.

My sister-in-law is 55 and still living with her mother. They have
moved up as well. The local authority provides reasonable facilities
but this varies between the 3 county councils in the immediate area.
Broadly they are the same but details vary and the type of
accomodation available varies.

In the county that my mother moved into the local fees for my sister
are quoted at 300-400 for her to move into a supported living house.
The variance depends on the degree of support that is required. On top
of that is rental costs for the accomodation. This is quoted at 60 pw.
As I understand it and only as a guide, if she is in entitled to and
receives full Income support then all fees are met by the various
agencies. Entitlements in her own right other than an amount for
pocket money revert to the LA or are subsumed by a different funding
stream. (In a private arrangement placement in a home -ie without LA
financial involvement - then I assume the benefits are continued but
are used to pay the various fees of the home)

At this moment we are concentrating on the consolidation of the move
from London. ie my sister gets used to the area and the different
support services day-center etc. This consolidation also applies
(possibly more importantly) to my mother who is reluctant to be on her
own so we have not pursued the implications of my sister moving into
care immediately. I understand in the case of a LA placement then the
parental financial circumstances will be taken into account.

When my sister does move into a supported home the LA will look at the
parental income/outgoings and capital. They will charge an
"appropriate fee" for the services 0% - 100%. I am looking into this
at the moment but if anyone knows more please post details.

In that event the death of my elderly parents then the estate would be
assessed and be expected to have made "reasonable" provision but this
is another issue and involves guidance from our legal friends on case

Hope this helps. I will post any further clarification I get if this
thread hasn't covered the topic.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy