Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: health cover for married couple, one a UK citizen, one a Canadian ( Answered 5 out of 5 stars,   0 Comments )
Subject: health cover for married couple, one a UK citizen, one a Canadian
Category: Health > Seniors
Asked by: ronw3665-ga
List Price: $15.00
Posted: 11 Mar 2005 00:22 PST
Expires: 10 Apr 2005 01:22 PDT
Question ID: 492315
Can a Canadian married to a UK citizen, and both resident in France,
both with a titre de séjour, and both listed (named) on form E121,
obtain the same kind and degree of health cover (equivalent to the
Carte Vitale) as the UK citizen?
( both retired and both self-supporting)
Subject: Re: health cover for married couple, one a UK citizen, one a Canadian
Answered By: hummer-ga on 11 Mar 2005 06:35 PST
Rated:5 out of 5 stars
Hi ronw3665,

Yes, the coverage will be the same for both you and your spouse.

"If you're married and your spouse is eligible for cover under form
E121, your spouse's entitlement is extended to you as a right, called
an ayant droit."

"Ayant droit vivant sous le toit de l?assuré"

You might get a kick out of Babel Fish's translation of the above
phrase. It's funny but actually manages to get across the correct
"Having alive right under the roof of the policy-holder"

Additional Links of Interest:

The French State Healthcare System:

Healthcare in France

British Embassy in France: Social Security and Health Care

Are you a UK state pensioner spending more than 3 months living
outside the United Kingdom?

"If you are receiving a UK state pension, you will not have to make
payments to the CMU as long as you have an E121 form. Please note that
you have to register your E121 form and you may have to pay a
contribution towards treatment costs."

Infosheet on the Agreement on Social Security between Canada and France

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, please post a
clarification request *before* closing/rating my answer and I'll be
happy to reply.

Thank you,

Google Search Terms Used:

cmu e121 "ayant droit"
cmu ayant droit spouse
france CMU uk pension
canadian in france "medical coverage"
french consulate canada
canada france  form E121
canadian citizen  france Carte de Séjour

Request for Answer Clarification by ronw3665-ga on 11 Mar 2005 21:41 PST
not so much a clarification as a follow-up from the linked my wife does not get a UK pension she would make
payments to the CMU, even though she is listed on form E121
Useful details on the CPAM application methods are on
(what would we do without google??!!)

Request for Answer Clarification by ronw3665-ga on 11 Mar 2005 21:55 PST
? 	CPAM Manche French Health Insurance Advice Hot- Line (English)
Tel: 0820 904 212  Mon-Fri 9:00-18:00. 

(this might also be useful...I wish I had found it earlier)

Clarification of Answer by hummer-ga on 12 Mar 2005 07:44 PST
Thank you, ronw3665, I'm glad to hear that I was able to shed some
light on this complex subject for you. Thank you for the link, I had
found AngloInfo too and I'm not sure why I neglected to post it for
you. I don't see where it mentions that your wife will have to make
payments, but hopefully your phone call will reveal all!

"...In France, husbands and wives - or acknowledged partners - are
treated as one taxable unit...."

Wishing you and your wife a happy and *healthy* retirement.
ronw3665-ga rated this answer:5 out of 5 stars
a very useful response with a series of links which help in a rapidly
changing world, where, in health,  technicalities and rules must be
very carefully observed.  Thankyou hummer for such a prompt and
comprehensive reply!

There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy