The answer is 80 feet.
Here's one way to explain how to solve the problem.
1. First, convert both the price per foot and one dollar to cents.
2. One dollar equals 100 cents.
3. "$.0125", the price per foot, is in "decimal" form and can also be
written as ".0125 dollars."
4. Since there are 100 cents in a dollar, you can convert .0125
dollars to cents by multiplying it by 100. You do that with decimals
by moving the decimal point two places to the right. So, .0125
dollars is the same as 1.25 cents.
5. So, if each foot of wire costs 1.25 cents, you can divide 100
cents (that is, one dollar) by 1.25 to find out how much you can buy
with the dollar.
6. 1.25 goes into 100 80 times. (I assume you know how to do the
division.) This means that you can buy 80 feet of wire with your
I know how to do the problem, so my "research" was thinking about how
to explain the process in plain English. If anything is unclear,
please ask for clarification before rating the answer.