Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: marriage in Bahamas, reconiged in USA, what do I need to do ( Answered 5 out of 5 stars,   0 Comments )
Subject: marriage in Bahamas, reconiged in USA, what do I need to do
Category: Family and Home > Relationships
Asked by: andre2070-ga
List Price: $20.00
Posted: 20 Mar 2005 15:27 PST
Expires: 19 Apr 2005 16:27 PDT
Question ID: 497716
I am planning a marrage in the Bahamas.  What do I need to legally do
in the USA or in my state of Maryland to have my marriage legal and
reconizable in the states. Do I need to file paperwork or Just present
when asked, the document from the Bahamas.  IE name change, driver's
permit name
Subject: Re: marriage in Bahamas, reconiged in USA, what do I need to do
Answered By: hummer-ga on 20 Mar 2005 17:30 PST
Rated:5 out of 5 stars
Hi andre2070,

Not to worry, all is well. An original marriage certificate, issued by
the appropriate local authorities where the marriage took place (in
your case the Registrar's Office in the Bahamas) will be accepted in
the U.S. as a legal document, no problem. Obtaining a legal marriage
license abroad is always determined by where the marriage takes place.
Once back in the U.S. you will proceed with changing your name, etc.,
by "just presenting when asked, the document from the Bahamas".

How to get married in The Bahamas
10. Would my marriage licence be legal in my country?
Yes, the Bahamas marriage licence is a legal document issued by the
Bahamas government.

The Registrar of Marriages performs all civil ceremonies.
"If you are living in the US, Britain, or Canada, the marriage license
is enough for proof of marriage.  In other areas or in certain legal
situations, an "Apostille" license may be required."

"Your marriage will be legal and binding worldwide"

Regulations for marriages in the Bahamas
6. "If either party is unmarried and is a citizen or resident of a
country other than the U.S.A., a declaration certifying this fact must
be sworn before a Notary Public or other person authorized to
administer oaths in that country and must accompany the application
for marriage license. Said declaration may also be obtained at a
Notary Public in Marsh Harbour.
Would my marriage license be legal in my country? 
"Yes, the Bahamas marriage license is a legal document issued by the
Bahamas government."

# Bahamas
# Fee charged
# Residency requirement: 24 hours
# Necessary documents: Passports; birth certificates; proof of divorce
or death certificate of former spouse/s (if applicable); declaration
certifying both parties are unmarried U.S. citizens, sworn before a
U.S. Consul at the American Embassy in Nassau, or a marriage license
from the Commissioner's Office on other islands; proof of arrival in
the Bahamas.
# Knot Note: Both parties must apply in person.
# More info: Bahamas Ministry of Tourism Romance Director at (888)

    *  Declaration certifying both are unmarried U.S. citizens sworn
before a U.S. Consul at the American Embassy, Nassau, or marriage
license obtained from Commissioner's Office for weddings on any
Bahamas' island outside of New Providence
    * Both parties must apply in person for the marriage license
    * Proof of arrival in the Bahamas
    * Passport or birth certificate & photo ID
    * Proof of divorce or death certificate, if applicable
    * Parental consent for parties under 18 years of age

"A Bahamian marriage license is a legal document issued by the
Bahamian government and is recognized in other countries"

Additional Links of Interest

The Bahamas: Consular Information Sheet

Tips for Travelers to the Caribbean

I was glad to find this for you. If you have any questions, please
post a clarification request *before* closing/rating my answer and
I'll be happy to reply.

Thank you and Congratulations!

Google Search Terms Used:

bahamas marriage license
bahamas u.s.
"getting married abroad" legally u.s.
caribbean marriage licence legal u.s.
andre2070-ga rated this answer:5 out of 5 stars

There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy