Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Plumbing ( Answered,   0 Comments )
Subject: Plumbing
Category: Miscellaneous
Asked by: sasabc-ga
List Price: $50.00
Posted: 30 Mar 2005 05:28 PST
Expires: 29 Apr 2005 06:28 PDT
Question ID: 502560
What are the manufacturer's guidelines when capping off Quest plumbing
lines in a residential property?

Request for Question Clarification by redhoss-ga on 30 Mar 2005 06:32 PST
Are you talking about an abandoned line that has been replaced or an
existing line that is still being used.

Clarification of Question by sasabc-ga on 30 Mar 2005 07:45 PST
A bathroom vanity is being removed and the piping needs to be capped
off until re-installation of new fixtures
Subject: Re: Plumbing
Answered By: redhoss-ga on 30 Mar 2005 10:44 PST
Hello sasabc, as you probably know Quest (Shell Chemical Co.) no
longer supplies polybutylene resin for pipe applications in the United
States effective April 16, 1996. You will find no "manufacturer's
guidelines" because there are no manufacutuers. However, there are
experts in replacing and repairing polybutylene plumbing systems. One
such company is "SageWater":

I e-mailed them and they sent me a toll free number to call
(800.845.1192). I called this number and talked with with a person by
the name of Lewis. He suggested that you purchase a stop valve with a
compression fitting on both sides. This way you can turn off the
water, install the valve, and then when your new plumbing is installed
simply turn on the valve. These valves are available at any hardware
store. Here is the valve as offered on the Ace Hardware website:

This would be my choice of solution because it is always a good idea
to have a stop valve on any plumbing fixture. However, there are
several other solutions that will work just as well. They all use a
compression fitting to adapt to the outside of your existing
polybutylene pipe. A compression fitting is the ONLY way to adapt to
Quest pipe that doesn't involve crimping tools and is the accepted
method of experts. Here are some more examples:

Another company that has a very good website is "Plumbing World .com":

They show many compression fittings for adapting to polybutylene pipe
and have a good discussion of problems related to Quest plumbing. One
thing they mention is this:

These fittings work great but are not code in many areas. In some
areas they are code but in most they may not be used in walls (as with
most compression like fittings).

Since your application is not in a wall, I see no problem.

I don't think that I have left anything out that you need to know.
However, if you have any further questions please ask for a
clarification and I will do my best to answer.

Good luck with your plumbing project, Redhoss

Request for Answer Clarification by sasabc-ga on 30 Mar 2005 11:41 PST
Is there any capping option or only compression fittings?

Clarification of Answer by redhoss-ga on 30 Mar 2005 12:45 PST
The reason that I didn't say much about anything but compression
fittings is that the other option is to use crimp fittings. If you are
going to do a lot of work with polybutylene pipe/tubing, then you
could purchase a crimping tool:

I assumed that this was a one time project and that you wouldn't want
to spend $200 on a special tool. However, if that is what you want
here is what the fittings and copper rings look like:

Because you used the words "manufacturer's guidelines" in your
original question, I thought that you were interested in only methods
that meet plumbing code requirements. In your clarification request
you again mention a plug. If you are looking for a very simple way to
put a temporary plug in the line, here is what I would do. Why not
just insert a PVC barbed fitting plug in the tubing and clamp it with
a simple hose clamp. Here is what the plastic fitting looks like:

You can purchase this fitting at any hardware store along with a
stainless steel hose clamp. This is absolutely the cheapest way to
plug the line. Is this getting closer to something you like? If not,
let me know and we will try something else.
There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy