Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: IRA Distributions or Loans ( Answered 5 out of 5 stars,   0 Comments )
Subject: IRA Distributions or Loans
Category: Business and Money > Accounting
Asked by: lina2-ga
List Price: $5.00
Posted: 06 Apr 2005 23:21 PDT
Expires: 06 May 2005 23:21 PDT
Question ID: 506153
I took a distribution from my traditional IRA.  For tax reasons, now I
wish to roll it back.  I understand that if the distribution was to my
Roth IRA, I can roll it back with no problem.  However, if the
distribution was to me personally, can I still roll it back?  If not,
can I recharacterize the distribution to me as a loan and pay it back
to my traditional IRA with interest?
Subject: Re: IRA Distributions or Loans
Answered By: taxmama-ga on 19 Apr 2005 05:32 PDT
Rated:5 out of 5 stars
Daer Lina

If you drew the money from your IRA, you 
have up to 60 days to return the money to 
the account without tax consequences. 
[note: 60 days, not two months.]

You may not borrow money from an IRA. Period. 
So, if the days has passed, there is no 
recharacterization, or replacement. The money
is taxable. 

However, if this is money you deposited earlier
in the same year, as a deposit for that year,
you will simply be able to reduce or eliminate 
the deduction for that same year. 

i.e. you deposited $2,000 in January 2005 for
2005, but drew it out in March.

For more information, please see IRS Publication 590
Individual Retirement Arrangements (IRAs)

When you may withdraw IRA funds tax-free:

And, of course, the list of prohibited transactions
is topped by borrowing from it:

This section explains the rules on rollovers and what
the exceptions are to the 60-day rule (scroll down):

And since you asked about recharacterizations, here's 
the scoop on that area of the law:

I know, this isn't what you wanted to hear. But it is the
tax law. Sorry. 

Best wishes,

Your TaxMama-ga

P.S. Now, if you really want to know how to tap those
IRA funds tax-free...that's a whole other question.
lina2-ga rated this answer:5 out of 5 stars

There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy