Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Publishing ( Answered 5 out of 5 stars,   0 Comments )
Subject: Publishing
Category: Miscellaneous
Asked by: bearsurf-ga
List Price: $5.00
Posted: 27 Apr 2005 09:22 PDT
Expires: 27 May 2005 09:22 PDT
Question ID: 514928
I want to publish my own book.How do I start my own small publishing
co.?I already have an editer.I have a printer.I know about purchasing
ISBN#.Do I need a business lic., or need to register somewhere.These
are my questions?
Subject: Re: Publishing
Answered By: kriswrite-ga on 27 Apr 2005 09:59 PDT
Rated:5 out of 5 stars
Hello bearsurf~

If your publishing house will have a name other than your own,
personal name, you will be using what's called a "fictitious business
name," or an "assumed business name," or "DBA" ("doing business as").
If you choose such a business name, you must register it with the
government--in most states, with the local county clerk's office. This
makes it easier for consumers to track down the actual business owner
(if they have a complaint). In addition, "banks won't open an account
under your business name unless you have proof that you have properly
registered the [also] won't be able to enforce any contract
that you sign under the name. Finally, if you don't register your
fictitious name, you aren't giving other businesses notice that it's
already in use. If a competing business can't find out that you're
already using the name, it might take it for its own -- and possibly
take away some of your business as well." ("Registering Your Business
Name," Nolo:

Because each state has different requirements for fictitious business
name filing, call your county clerk's office, and ask what needs to be
done. They can tell you who to contact, what forms to fill out, and
what the basic procedure is. There is a fee for filing, and it varies
considerably from state to state, though it's typically in the $10 to
$50 range.

For a good overview of fictitious  business names and filing, check
out "Doing Business As" at

In addition, you will need to obtain a business license. Again, the
where and how much varies from state to state. You might look here, to
see if your state is listed: (Business
Licenses, All Business). Or here:  (Where to Obtain Business
Licenses) If it is listed, just click on the link to discover
information about licenses in your state. In any case, be sure to call
your local city and county to find out what their business
requirements are, and whether you need a license through them.

You will also need to register with the IRS. Use the Application for
an Employer Identification Number (EIN), Form SS-4, (available at,,id=102767,00.html). If
you have employees, you must file this paperwork. Depending on your
state, you may need a state tax ID, also. Contact your state's
treasury department or department of revenue to find out what's

I hope this fully answers your questions; if you have any questions,
however, please don't hesitate to request a clarification before
rating this Answer.

Good luck with your business!



Researcher's personal knowledge

Google Searches: "Obtaining state tax ID," "business license,"
"fictitious business name"
bearsurf-ga rated this answer:5 out of 5 stars

There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy