Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: How to record from cassette tape to CD? ( Answered,   0 Comments )
Subject: How to record from cassette tape to CD?
Category: Miscellaneous
Asked by: melody8-ga
List Price: $2.00
Posted: 27 Apr 2005 16:40 PDT
Expires: 27 May 2005 16:40 PDT
Question ID: 515111
How to transfer cassette tapes to CD?
Subject: Re: How to record from cassette tape to CD?
Answered By: webadept-ga on 27 Apr 2005 18:06 PDT

There is a program called Audacity : ( )
which will record your tape for you. The way I do this is I use my
tape player, a 3.5mm Stereo Male to Male cable, and my tape player.
Insure that the heads of the tape player are as clean as you can get
them. Then use the cable to connect from the headphone output of your
tape player, to the microphone input of your computer. Start up
Audacity, and set it to record, and push play on your tape player.

You will want to make sure you have a good 50-100 megs of space free
on the computer at the very least, depending on how long the tape is.
The more free space the better. Keep an eye on the tape, because even
when it stops, the computer will continue to record until you stop it.

Using Audacity you can then edit the sound file. I recommend that you
save it first before you start editing, and restart the computer to
free up all the RAM. Once you edit the file and remove any begining or
ending sounds that might have happened starting or stopping the tape
player, you can then use your favorite CD burner program to make your
CD for you.

If you are doing this with a tape that has several songs on it, or
class lectures, you may have a better (or rather more usful) CD if you
use Audacity to cut the file up into different tracks. But that is up
to you.

3.5mm Stereo Male to Male cable example links

You can get the cables at most local stores that sell Audio cables
(Walmart, Office Depot, Radio Shack, etc)


There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy