Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Birth certificate ( Answered,   0 Comments )
Subject: Birth certificate
Category: Miscellaneous
Asked by: shanegibson-ga
List Price: $50.00
Posted: 08 Aug 2002 04:19 PDT
Expires: 07 Sep 2002 04:19 PDT
Question ID: 52110
I am looking to obtain a full birth certificate for my grandfather who
was born in the UK.

His details as I know are as follows.

Bernard John Charles Garner
Born in Stratford Manchester in I believe 1923 or there abouts

Request for Question Clarification by voyager-ga on 08 Aug 2002 04:39 PDT
Hi Shanegibson,

it would help to know if you are living in the UK or not, and if your
grandfather is still alive and can sign any form that you might have
to fill out.

If you consider this information an answer, please tell me, so I can
post it as one:

Where can I obtain British birth, marriage or death certificates?

On this site you will find contact information of the relevant
sources. Drop them an e-mail or call there to either get the forms or
the certificate sent to you.

I hope this helps!


Request for Question Clarification by answerfinder-ga on 08 Aug 2002 04:41 PDT
Where are you located? 
The certificate cannot be downloaded off the internet, but I can tell
you how to obtain it. Would this be sufficient for an answer?
Subject: Re: Birth certificate
Answered By: purplecat-ga on 09 Aug 2002 08:19 PDT
Your starting point in order to obtain a copy of this birth
certificate is to contact Manchester City Council. The Manchester
registration service retains registration details of births, marriages
and deaths from July to the present date. You may wish to visit the
relevant page on their website:

You can request a copy of the certificate either in person, or if not
practical, by letter or email - the above link contains an email
address for such purposes. Their postal address and telephone number
are as follows:

Manchester Registration Service
Heron House
47 Lloyd Street
United Kingdom
M2 5LE
Tel: 0161 234 7878

You have a choice of two types of certificate - a full or a short
certificate. A copy of the full certificate costs 6.50 [approx.
$9.80]. A copy of the short certificate is 7.61 [approx. $7.61]. It
is unlikely that cash or a cheque for the appropriate fee would be
acceptable in anything other than pounds sterling. However, if you
make a telephone or email application, you can pay by credit card.

The full certificate will show all the details entered onto the
register. The shorter certificate will only note the person's name,
sex, date and place of birth. A telephone or email application is
normally dealt with on the day of receipt.

You will need the following information as you would be applying for a
pre-1927 birth record: the year of birth, the quarter of that year
that birth occurred in, and the registration district. As you don't
appear to have all these details, you would need to conduct a search
of the General Registration Indices (also known as St. Catherine’s
House Indices). These indices may be found at various locations, both
around the UK and Australia, Canada and New Zealand, for example
records offices, family history centers and public libraries.

You may also wish to visit PROCAT - the Public Records Office's Online
Catalogue, which can be accessed via:

the official website of the UK government's Public Record Office.
Although they do not hold all records online, they provide plenty of
useful advice on how to search the records in person and also, supply
a list of independent researchers who will carry out the search for a
fee, if you are unable to attend in person. Also, if you have an
acquaintance or relative who can visit for you, they are happy to
accommodate this, but suggest writing or emailing in advance. For
further helpful information on this service, try

Contact details for the Public Records Office are as follows:

Public Record Office, Kew, Richmond, Surrey TW9 4DU. 
Telephone Number: 020 8876 3444, fax: 020 8392 5286

Another source of assistance in obtaining a copy of the required birth
certificate may be discovered at:

They provide a link to the General Register Office at:

There is also a volunteer run service available at

However, this service is a work in progress and currently only holds
information up until 1901, although update work is ongoing.

If you cannot obtain the necessary information or are unable to search
the indices referred to above, you may receive assistance from:

General Register Office
PO Box 2

Their website may be found at:

Although you cannot download a copy of the certificate should they
find it, there is a downloadable application form for the certificate
available from:

I hope this information is of assistance to you and good luck in your

There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy