Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: opening business ( Answered,   0 Comments )
Subject: opening business
Category: Business and Money > Small Businesses
Asked by: bellarina-ga
List Price: $10.00
Posted: 24 May 2005 12:03 PDT
Expires: 23 Jun 2005 12:03 PDT
Question ID: 525112
Can I live in Michigan and legally open a small business(sole
proprietorship) and a business bank account in another state
Subject: Re: opening business
Answered By: richard-ga on 24 May 2005 12:51 PDT
Hello and thank you for your question.

Yes, you can open and legally operate a sole proprietorship and a
business bank account in another state (Tennessee).

You'll need to obtain a Tennessee business license, in the city and
county where you operate:
For example,

You should phone the town clerk where you'll be operating to get the
necessary form.  Be sure to ask about both a city license and a county

As the instructions to the Michigan income tax return show, you will
have to pay Michigan income tax on what you earn in Tennessee
(Tennessee is not one of the 'reciprocal states.'

That's it!

Search terms used:
tennessee "business license"
tennessee "application for business license"
michigan "income tax"

Thanks again for letting us help

Google Answers Researcher
There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy