Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Gettin a car from my Parents. ( Answered,   2 Comments )
Subject: Gettin a car from my Parents.
Category: Miscellaneous
Asked by: kitramos-ga
List Price: $10.00
Posted: 07 Jun 2005 20:10 PDT
Expires: 07 Jul 2005 20:10 PDT
Question ID: 530651
Currently my mom owns title to two cars. I'm going to be moving down
to flordia from minnesota in July and my mom wants to give me one of
those cars as a present. how ever we have heard she can't officaly
just give me the car even though bouth cars have been complety paid
for already.
is there truth to this? does she officaly have to sell me the car and
if so how small can she set the price tag? (After all she wants to set
it at 0)
if there is anything we gotta do special to do in order to sell it
cheeply or give it away legaly then please tell me.
Subject: Re: Gettin a car from my Parents.
Answered By: richard-ga on 08 Jun 2005 05:24 PDT
Hello and thank you for your question.

Since you're going to be registering the car in Florida, the Florida
rules will apply.

"Is it legal to give a car as a gift to a family member, or do I have
to put a dollar figure on it (for example $1)?"
"It is legal to give a car to a family member or anyone else, however,
a bill of sale or an affidavit should be completed by both parties to
verify this information for the Department of Revenue."
FAQs on Getting a Hassle Free Title

The bill of sale or affidavit can look something like this (since your
mother has a Minnesota certificate of title, change "Florida" to
"Minnesota" where it asks for the certificate of title number).

Search terms used:
florida registry gift car

Thanks again for letting us help

Clarification of Answer by richard-ga on 08 Jun 2005 06:28 PDT
I should clarify my answer to respond to the comment below.
It's OK to put "gift" or $0 on the bill of sale or affidavit.
But the Q and A quoted in my Answer is straight from the Florida
Department of Highway Safety & Motor Vehicles.
Why not give them what they want?
Subject: Re: Gettin a car from my Parents.
From: research_help-ga on 08 Jun 2005 06:11 PDT
As someone who has received a car as a gift in Florida, I have to
disagree with the official answer.  You do not need a bill of sale or
affidavit.  When you transfer the title, there is a place where you
indicate the sale price and all you have to do is indicate "gift."
Subject: Re: Gettin a car from my Parents.
From: kitramos-ga on 08 Jun 2005 08:15 PDT
I'm going to hold of on rateing this question untill I've suceffully
gotten the car in my name. you get high marks for speed, now the more
important part acccurcy will be seen when she makes the offical
atttempt to give me the car.
if it goes smoothly I'll give you a nice high rating.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy