Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Specialist Doctor - Branch of Medicine ( Answered,   1 Comment )
Subject: Specialist Doctor - Branch of Medicine
Category: Health > Men's Health
Asked by: burnt_toast-ga
List Price: $5.00
Posted: 19 Jun 2005 21:35 PDT
Expires: 19 Jul 2005 21:35 PDT
Question ID: 534984
What do you call a doctor specializing in penises? For example to
diagnose and treat Erectile Dysfunction, to get a prescription for
Viagra/Cialis/Levitra, etc.

For example, when I need to diagnosis and treat disorders affecting my
female reproductive organs I see a GYNECOLOGIST.
Subject: Re: Specialist Doctor - Branch of Medicine
Answered By: bobbie7-ga on 19 Jun 2005 22:09 PDT
Hello  Burnt_toast,

The specialist would be a urologist.

Urologist: ?A doctor who is specially trained to treat problems of the
male and female urinary system, and the male sex organs.?
WebMD Health
Erectile Dysfunction: Glossary of Terms

Urologist: ?An M.D. specializing in male and female urinary tract
problems who is particularly knowledgeable about penile and testicular

Urologist: ?A doctor who specializes in diseases of the urinary organs
in females and the urinary and sex organs in males.?
The Medical Terminology and Drug Database

Urologist: ?A doctor who sees men and women for treatment of the
urinary tract and men for treatment of the genital organs.?


Many family doctors now routinely treat erectile dysfunction  ED. They
refer patients to Urologists, Psychologists, Psychiatrists and

?Usually, your family doctor is the first health care professional to
see about erectile dysfunction. Many family doctors now routinely
treat ED. Depending on your unique situation, your primary care doctor
may refer you to a urologist or to another specialist.?

The following specialists may play a role in the diagnosis and
treatment of Erectile Dysfunction:

?These specialists treat diseases of the genitals and urinary tract.
They are the doctors who most commonly treat ED, especially those that
have suspected physical causes. Urologists can provide routine
evaluation and treatment of ED and perform special tests to evaluate
the nerves, arteries and veins that control the erection process. They
also prescribe medications and perform surgery to correct erection

Not all urologists treat ED but most do. It is important to find a
urologist who does treat this problem or one who specializes in this

Psychologists and psychiatrists
?These specialists treat psychological causes of ED, such as
depression, anxiety, and relationship problems.?

?An endocrinologist may be an appropriate choice if your ED is due to
testosterone deficiency, a thyroid disorder, or another hormonal
problem.? : American Foundation for Urologic Disease


Which Doctors Treat Erectile Dysfunction?

?Doctors most qualified to treat ED are those who regularly diagnose
and treat the condition and who stay up-to-date on the latest ED
research and treatments. As a group, urologists are the most
knowledgeable about ED. Many psychiatrists and psychologists also
treat the condition. The Erectile Dysfunction Institute?
Source: American Foundation for Urologic Disease


Search terms used: 
Urologist Viagra Erectile Dysfunction Treatment Specialists

I hope this is helpful. 

Best Regards,

Clarification of Answer by bobbie7-ga on 20 Jun 2005 15:04 PDT
Thanks to tateti-ga for the informative comment.

Here are additional definitions of "andrologist" on the Web:

An MD/Ph.D. who specializes in the study of male reproduction.

a specialist who treats sperm problems.

A specialist in male infertility.

A medical professional specializing in male infertility and assisted
reproductive technology (ART)

Andrology (from the Greek andros, man) is the medical specialty that
deals with men's health, particularly relating to the problems of the
male reproductive system and urological problems that are unique to
men. Gynaecology deals with medical issues which are specific to
Subject: Re: Specialist Doctor - Branch of Medicine
From: tateti-ga on 20 Jun 2005 14:38 PDT
You might also consider the "ANDROLOGIST", that is, the physician who
specializes in ANDROLOGY ("andrology is to the male what gynecology is
to the female")
At the same URL, you can find the following list of common andrological disorders:
Some Common Andrological Disorders:
Impotence (erectile dysfunction)
Infertility (childlessness)
Intersex disorders and transsexuality
Ejaculatory disturbances
Peyronie's disease
Penile curvature
Sperm conducting system defects (epididymis, vas, ejaculatory duct)
Andrologic cancers (penis, testes, scrotum)
Swellings of scrotum and intra-scrotal contents
Venereal disease in males
Groin swelling (including hernias)
Delayed puberty in boys
Penile torsion.
Take also into account that many andrologists are urologists.

Hope this is of use.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy