Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: CITIZENSHIP CERTIFICATE NUMBER ( Answered 5 out of 5 stars,   0 Comments )
Category: Miscellaneous
Asked by: dbdc-ga
List Price: $20.00
Posted: 28 Jun 2005 10:15 PDT
Expires: 28 Jul 2005 10:15 PDT
Question ID: 537866
Answered By: hummer-ga on 28 Jun 2005 11:52 PDT
Rated:5 out of 5 stars
Hi dbdc,

No, sorry to say, it won't be that simple.  You'll have to submit Form
N-565 to apply for a replacement of your Certificate of Citizenship,
which will cost $210.00.  As you'll notice on Form N-565, your Social
Security Number (issued by the Social Security Administration) is not
asked for in order to replace your Certificate of Citizenship (issued
by the US Citizenship and Immigration Services) .

How Do I Replace My Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization?
What is a Certificate of Citizenship?
"It is a document issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service
(USCIS) as proof of a person having obtained U.S. citizenship through
derivation or acquisition at birth (when born outside of the United
States). For example, your U.S. citizen parents were living in England
when you were born. Or, your parent(s) became naturalized when you
were under 18 years of age and met the special conditions of the law."
What is a Certificate of Naturalization?
"It is a document issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service
(USCIS) since October 1, 1991 and the Federal Courts or certain State
Courts on or before September 30, 1991 as proof of a person obtaining
U.S. citizenship through naturalization (a legal process to obtain a
new nationality). "
Section 343 of the Immigration and Nationality Act provides that, "If
any certificate of naturalization or citizenship issued to any citizen
? is lost, mutilated, or destroyed, the citizen ? may make application
? for a new certificate ? ."
Who Should Apply for a Replacement Certificate?
"You should apply for a replacement certificate if your current
certificate is lost, mutilated, or destroyed."
How Do I Apply to Replace My Certificate?
"Form N-565 is used to apply for a replacement certificate of
citizenship or naturalization. It is filed in person or by mail with
the local USCIS office having jurisdiction over your place of
residence (Except if you live in Maryland; file with the Vermont
Service Center) (see MAP). It must be filed with appropriate
identification to establish your identity and the filing fee. Current
photographs meeting USCIS photo specifications must also be submitted.
(See instructions on the form.)"
What If I am Outside of the United States?
"If you are outside the United States you must submit your application
to a USCIS office in the United States and be willing to return to the
U.S. to pick up the certificate."

N-565, Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document 
"This form is used to apply for a replacement Declaration of
Intention, Naturalization Certificate, Certificate of Citizenship..."
Filing Fee:  $210.
2 photos are required.

FORM N-565

Local Field Office

Note: A U.S. Passport is proof of citizenship.

Proof of Citizenship
You may prove U.S. citizenship with any one of the following:
    * Previous U.S. Passport (mutilated, altered, or damaged passports
are not acceptable as evidence of U.S. citizenship.)
    * Certified birth certificate issued by the city, county or state
      Note: A certified birth certificate has a registrar's raised,
embossed, impressed or multicolored seal, registrar's signature, and
the date the certificate was filed with the registrar's office, which
must be within 1 year of your birth
    * Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
    * Naturalization Certificate
    * Certificate of Citizenship

I hope this help. If you have any questions, please post a
clarification request *before* closing/rating my answer and I'll be
happy to reply.

Thank you,

Search Strategy:

I searched the USCIS website and search Google for terms like find
citizenship certificate number lost search.
dbdc-ga rated this answer:5 out of 5 stars

There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy