Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Real Property Ownership in 1923 ( Answered,   0 Comments )
Subject: Real Property Ownership in 1923
Category: Miscellaneous
Asked by: liz07-ga
List Price: $10.00
Posted: 13 Jul 2005 10:52 PDT
Expires: 12 Aug 2005 10:52 PDT
Question ID: 543114
I am purchasing a 1923 building at Clay and Larkin in SF, CA, with
what the City contends is an illegal roof top unit on it (about 300
square feet). I do not want to have to tear down the unit.  To help
save the unit, I need to have evidence that the unit was on the
building when it was built.

Do you know how I could track down the owner of the building in 1923
and/or his/her heirs to ask him/her/them what was on the roof in 1923
onward during their ownership?
Subject: Re: Real Property Ownership in 1923
Answered By: nenna-ga on 13 Jul 2005 15:35 PDT
Good afternoon liz07-ga and thank you for your question.  

I do a lot of genealogical research and in my own searches, I have
come across some useful ways to track down family and owners of
property.  One of the best ways I have found to obtain information on
past ownership is to retrieve the property records, which are usually
housed at the County Recorders office.

If you know the name of your subdivision (if there is one) check the
?map books?.  These maps might give you the date of the survey, the
date filed, the owners, the designer (if any) of the subdivision.

The San Francisco Assessor-Recorder hold property records (deeds,
notice of sale, conveyance, mortgage, lease, map, and builder's
contract records) from July 1906 through April 1913 on microfilm. 
They also hold Real Estate Sales Ledger from 1914 ? 1999 on

Copies of recorded documents (Deeds, Liens, etc.) can ONLY be ordered
in person or by mail.  Requests by mail will only be accepted if a
specific document number is provided.  Use the Realty Index to locate
block and lot numbers used by the Assessor-Recorder.

A request for a copy of a recorded document can be mailed to the
Assessor-Recorder?s Office.  All copy requests must include:

1.  The specific document number and recording date 
2.  A daytime phone number in case there is a question or problem 
3.  An address to mail the copy 
4.  A check or money order to cover the document copy fee

Copies of records or papers on file (per page, pages 1 through 3) is
$3.00.   Each additional page of same record is $0.50.

An order form can be found at:

( )

Request should be sent to:

S.F. County Assessor-Recorder  
 1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place  
 City Hall, Room 190  
 San Francisco, CA 94102

= = = = = = = = = 

Another way you might find out who the other owners were is to check
the index to the Great Register of Voters. (1866-1944). The San
Francisco Public Library has this on microfilm, though I don?t know
how complete it is.  They are located at:

100 Larkin Street 
San Francisco, CA 94102 
Ph: 415-557-4400	

If you can verify the Assembly District in which the house was sited,
you may find the address, name, age, and, sometimes, the occupation
and political affiliation of the building occupants.

= = = = = = = = = 

?Reverse directories" list the owner or occupant by street address. 
The library might have some of those older directories as well.

= = = = = = = = =

Water connection records can be found at the San Francisco Water
Department.  They are located at:

1155 Market Street
San Francisco

You need to find the original application.  It might list the original
owner, though it could list a plumber or contractor. It also lists
things like the use of the building, number of rooms, etc.

= = = = = = = = =

This might be a long shot but in order to see if the unit was
originally on that building, you could try searching for the building
at the San Francisco Historical Photograph Collection home page found

( )

Viewing and ordering images is limited to Tuesday and Thursday from
1-5pm; and Saturday from 10-Noon and 1-5pm.

If this answer requires further explanation, please request
clarification before rating it, and I'll be happy to look into this

Google Answers Researcher
There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy