Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Probate ( Answered 5 out of 5 stars,   1 Comment )
Subject: Probate
Category: Reference, Education and News > Consumer Information
Asked by: suzi55-ga
List Price: $2.00
Posted: 19 Jul 2005 10:12 PDT
Expires: 18 Aug 2005 10:12 PDT
Question ID: 545391
How do I get a copy of my grandmother's will that was probated in Vermont?

Request for Question Clarification by nenna-ga on 27 Jul 2005 15:44 PDT
What county was the will probated in?


Clarification of Question by suzi55-ga on 28 Jul 2005 07:58 PDT
I would like to obtain a copy of my grandmother's last will and
testament. She passed away in the early 80's in Randolph, Vermont.  I
do not know how to go about getting a copy .
Subject: Re: Probate
Answered By: nenna-ga on 28 Jul 2005 09:17 PDT
Rated:5 out of 5 stars
Good morning Suzi55!

If your grandmother's will was probated in Randolph, Vermont, it would
most likely be probated through the Orange COunty Probate Court.

I spoke with Marilyn of the Orange County Probate Court in Vermont
regarding procedures for obtaining your grandmother?s will.  She
informed me that for a will as far back as the 80?s, they would have
moved it to an off-site storage facility and would have to search for

To obtain a will, simply send a written request, including your
grandmother?s name and town of residence to:

Orange County Probate Court
5 Court Street
Chelsea, VT 05038-9746

There is a copying fee but she said it varied, depending on the amount
to be copied. Most vital record copying fees that I have seen
throughout the US is $2.00 to $3.00 for the first 3 pages with $0.10
to $0.25 per additional page, however I cannot be certain.

I would suggest that you include in your written request something to
the effect of:

"If you have a charge for photocopying and mailing these records,
either send your billing statement to me along with the records and
payment will be remitted immediately; or, notify me immediately by
phone or letter as to the amount of these charges and I will remit
payment with the understanding that you will then send the records to
me upon receipt of payment."

You can contact the Probate Court at (802) 685-4610  if you have any
other questions.

If this answer requires further explanation, please request
clarification before rating it, and I'll be happy to look into this

Google Answers Researcher
suzi55-ga rated this answer:5 out of 5 stars
I have located it.  Thank you.

Subject: Re: Probate
From: nenna-ga on 28 Jul 2005 11:37 PDT
Thank you very much for the rating and I am glad you were able to find
your grandmother's will.


Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy