Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Medical Records from retired doctor ( Answered 5 out of 5 stars,   2 Comments )
Subject: Medical Records from retired doctor
Category: Health > Medicine
Asked by: cckk-ga
List Price: $15.00
Posted: 28 Jul 2005 18:16 PDT
Expires: 27 Aug 2005 18:16 PDT
Question ID: 549216
I need to get my medical records from a retired doctor.

His info:
Philip A. Scheinberg
worked in Goleta, CA  when I saw him in 1992-1995.

He later moved his office (I believe) to Santa Barbara, CA. That phone
number is now disconnected.

THere is another physician working in Santa Barbara by the name of
Scheinberg, different first name, who told me that the doctor I'm
looking for is retired.
Subject: Re: Medical Records from retired doctor
Answered By: nenna-ga on 29 Jul 2005 07:27 PDT
Rated:5 out of 5 stars
Good morning cckk!

I have done a bit of digging and found that Dr. Philip A. Sheinberg
last worked at the following address:

536 East Arrellaga Street, Suite 104
Santa Barbara, CA 93103
805-884-0044 (I verified that this is a working number)

You may want to give that office a call to see if they have your
records on site still.  Most times, once a doctor retires, he will
move hiss patient?s records to an off-site storage facility for

CA Code Regs. Title 22, Chap 3,  72543  states that all medical
records of persons aged 18 years and older and of emancipated minors
shall be retained for seven (7) years from date of service. All
medical records of persons who were under the age of 18 years at the
time service was rendered shall be retained for the greater of (a) one
(1) year from the date the person reaches the age of 18 years, or (b)
seven (7) years. Compliance with these requirements imposed by
California law will result in compliance with current federal medical
record retention provisions, which generally require a five (5) years
retention period or less.

According to the Medical Board of CA, when retiring, the physician
terminating the physician-patient relationship should notify patients
sufficiently in advance by letter to patients by the physician
explaining the change, including the final date of practice. The
California Medical Association recommends, if possible, that letters
be sent by certified mail, return receipt requested, and that a copy
of the letter with the return receipt be kept. To inform inactive
patients or those who have moved away, the CMA also recommends placing
an advertisement in a local newspaper.  Additionally, the patients
should be advised as to where their medical records will be stored
including how they may access them. To facilitate the transfer of
medical records to the new treating physician, an authorization form
should be included in the letter.

Cal. Civil Code  1798.81 requires that all businesses, including
HMOs, must dispose of records that are no longer needed by

     1.  shredding
     2.  erasing
     3.  otherwise modifying the personal information in those records to make 
         it unreadable or undecipherable through any means.

Cal. Civil Code  1798.82 states that if any business fails to
properly destroy your records and you suffer harm because of it, you
can sue that business.

I am not sure what year the doctor retired in, but if it has been over
7 years, and if Dr. Sheinberg retired your records pursuant to CA.
Code Regs. Title 22, Chap 3,  72543 and Cal. Civil Code  1798.81, I
am afraid that you may never recover them. As one whom once worked in
the medical field, most doctors? offices will shred their records.

Another resource to look into to obtain your medical information would
be to speak with the Medical Information Bureau (MIB).  The MIB is a
company that keeps a database of medical record information on
individuals as provided to them by insurance companies that subscribe
to their services.   There is an $8.50 charge for obtaining a copy of
your MIB report.  MIB reports are kept for seven years.

For information, you can write to:

MIB, Inc. 
P.O. Box 105 
Essex Station 
Boston, MA 02112 
Phone: 617-426-3660 
Fax: 781-461-2453

( http:// )

I hope you find this information helpful. If this answer requires
further explanation, please request clarification before rating it,
and I'll be happy to look into this further.
Google Answers Researcher


California Patients Guide
( )

Medical Record Retention Laws
( )

Medical Board of California
( )
cckk-ga rated this answer:5 out of 5 stars
Thanks, I got just what I needed!

Subject: Re: Medical Records from retired doctor
From: myoarin-ga on 29 Jul 2005 02:43 PDT
Correct spelling:  otolarynologist  (ears, nose, throat specialist)

Dr. Scheinberg is a member of the scientific advisory board of SinusPharmacy.
See the bottom of this page:

and also on the Scientific Advisory board here:

I hope this information is not outdated and can allow you to get in touch with him.
Subject: Re: Medical Records from retired doctor
From: nenna-ga on 17 Aug 2005 09:29 PDT
I am so happy you were able to find them!! Thanks for the rating!


Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy