Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Moving to Mexico ( Answered 5 out of 5 stars,   1 Comment )
Subject: Moving to Mexico
Category: Miscellaneous
Asked by: leighannp-ga
List Price: $25.00
Posted: 22 Aug 2005 12:32 PDT
Expires: 21 Sep 2005 12:32 PDT
Question ID: 558822
I am thinking about moving to Mexico.

As a US citizen, I would like to know exactly what is involved as far
as Mexico's immigration laws. I want to legally live and work there
for an undetermined period of time.

Please be as detailed as possible with your answer. Let me know if you
require anything further from me (i.e., what part of Mexico I am
planning to live in, etc.) Also let me know if the price should be
higher, as I have no idea how to go about looking for this

Thanks in advance.

Request for Question Clarification by politicalguru-ga on 22 Aug 2005 13:16 PDT
Dear Leigh, 

How old are you? What is your profession? These two questions might be
relevant in immigrating to Mexico.

Clarification of Question by leighannp-ga on 22 Aug 2005 13:49 PDT
I'm 20 years old. I work professionally in the mortgage lending
industry, but would prefer not to continue that work there.

Request for Question Clarification by missy-ga on 22 Aug 2005 15:48 PDT
Hi there!

I'm currently working to find an answer for you, and find I need a
little more information.

Mexican authorities grant immigration visas for the following people:

--Scientists & Technicians
--Artists and Sportspeople 

Each has its own requirements, but it would seem to me the one most
relevant to you would be for professionals:

"If you are a qualified professional, you can have your certificates
validated by the Mexican Consulate and apply for an immigration permit
to live in Mexico.  You must be sponsored by a company who must
satisfy the authorities that you are essential to their operative

Immigration Visas - Professionals

It appears you'll need to obtain a job offer from a Mexican firm first
in order to attain your objective.  How would you like to proceed?


Clarification of Question by leighannp-ga on 22 Aug 2005 18:43 PDT
What defines a "professional" and what defines an "artist"? How long
can I stay in Mexico legally as a visitor? Are the rules the same if
you're coming as an "artist"?

Request for Question Clarification by missy-ga on 22 Aug 2005 19:43 PDT
Hello again,

With respect to how "artist" or "professional" defined, that is the
sole discretion of the Interior Ministry.  The official page of the
National Institute of Migration is not very helpful in defining this:



I can try contacting the Consulate in the morning to see if I can get
good working definitions.  In any case, for both statuses, you are
required to provide proof that you have already secured employment. 
If you intend to practice artistic activities independently, you will
be required to show proof that you are already in possession of
sufficient funds to support yourself throughout your stay.

Visitor's permits are good for one year, after which time they may be
renewed yearly for a maximum total of five years.

-- Missy

Clarification of Question by leighannp-ga on 23 Aug 2005 05:53 PDT
So let's say that I was moving to Mexico to write a book - as long as
I could prove that I had enough money to support myself for as long as
I'll be there, then I could be considered an artist and allowed to
live there?

Can I have more information on how to obtain visitor permit? Please
post this as an answer.

Request for Question Clarification by missy-ga on 23 Aug 2005 06:52 PDT
Hi Leighann!

I just wanted to pop in to let you know that I'll post your answer
later this afternoon or sometime this evening.

My Monsters go back to school today, so the day will be stuffed with
meeting the eldest's Junior High teachers and dealing with Open House
for the youngest.

Wanted to let you know, so you don't think I'm ignoring you!


Clarification of Question by leighannp-ga on 23 Aug 2005 07:15 PDT
Sounds good.
Subject: Re: Moving to Mexico
Answered By: missy-ga on 25 Aug 2005 20:46 PDT
Rated:5 out of 5 stars
Hi Leighann,

Please accept my apologies for the delay.  I've been ill on top of
dealing with school things.  I appreciate your patience.

So, where did we leave off?

Since you're planning to engage in artistic activities independent of
an employer, you'll be required to submit proof that you'll be
supporting yourself entirely with funds brought in from outside of
Mexico.  Typically, you'll be required to prove that you have at least
or more than four times the daily Mexican minimum wage for the
duration of your stay (between $1500 and $2000 per month).

Your first step towards moving to Mexico to engage in artistic
activities (such as write a book) will be to contact the Mexican
Consulate or Consular Office nearest you to obtain the proper forms:

Mexican Consulates and Embassies

You can see what some of the forms look like here:


I cannot stress enough how important it is that you work with the
Consulate to ensure that your visa is granted.  There is no charge for
the help of the Consulate, and the representatives will be more up to
date on the frequent changes to the procedures and costs involved.

In order to apply for an Immigrant permit, you need to start with a
Tourist (FMT) visa.  The application for a Mexican visa is fairly

Application for Mexican Visa

...but when you cross the border to move, you'll also need to have the
following documents on hand to upgrade to an FM2:

*Copy of Visa
*Four original sets of inventories
*Declaration that items are used and no prohibited items are included
*Letter of guarantee (showing source of income)
*Birth Certificate
*Marriage License (if married)
*Photo ID (drivers license)

Tips for Moving to Mexico

The FM2 visa is renewable annually for five years, after which time
you may apply for permanent residency.  Permanent residency gives you
all the rights of Mexican citizenship except the right to vote.  As a
permanent resident, you are eligible to seek Mexican employment, as
well.  If you intend to renew your visa and eventually apply for
residency, it is absolutely VITAL that you do not allow your visa to
expire.  Be certain to apply for renewal at least thirty days prior to
your expiration date.

Staying for More Than 6 Months

Migratory Information

You mentioned that you're looking to get out of your current
profession and pursue something else while living in Mexico.  If you
find that living on your savings for five years is a bit more than you
can manage, you can search for a job prior to moving to Mexico. 
SolutionsAbroad, a community for expatriates living in Mexico, offers
job search assistance:

Finding a Job in Mexico

It might be helpful to note that it's a little bit easier to move to
Mexico if you've already secured employment, as most Mexican employers
will take care of much of your immigration paperwork.

The rest of the site is incredibly informative, explaining how to open
a bank account, get utilities connected, acquiring insurance and
paying taxes.  The site is laid out by category, I would strongly
advise you read it all and participate in the forums for a while
before applying for your visa and making the big move:


Registration is free, and the information provided is well organized
and comprehensive.

You may find the following additional resources helpful:

How To Move To Mexico - One man's explanation of how he moved to
Mexico.  Mr. Brook notes that he required an FM3 visa, which
contradicts the information that I've found.  This only serves to
emphasize the need to work with your nearest Consulate.  Mr. Brook
also points out the importance of this, because information and costs
change frequently.

How To Move To Mexico

MexicoConnect - Lots of free information, but the important things
about moving to Mexico are only available to subscribers. 
Subscriptions are $5/month and a one week free trial is available.


Expat Focus - A collection of information about emigrating to and
living in Mexico.  Covers taxation, visas, utilities, public transport
and more.  Forums are available and registration is free.

Expat Focus - Mexico

Head For Mexico - A collection of articles, links and book excerpts
about moving from the US to Mexico.

Head For Mexico


On Mexican Time: A New Life in San Miguel - Tony Cohan

Live Better South of the Border in Mexico: Practical Advice for Living
and Working - Mike Nelson

Choose Mexico, 8th: Travel, Investment, and Living Opportunities for
Every Budget - John Howells and Don Merwin

Adapter Kit: Mexico: A Traveler's Tools for Living Like a Local - Ken Luboff

The People's Guide to Mexico - Carl Franz, Lorena Havens (Editor),
Steve Rogers (Editor)

I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor.  As one who lived abroad
for a year and a half, I can tell you that in addition to being
challenging, it's also incredibly rewarding and educational.  I hope
the experience is everything you want it to be.

If I can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask for
clarification.  I'll be glad to help.

-- Missy

Search terms:  [ move to mexico ], [ how to move to mexico ]
leighannp-ga rated this answer:5 out of 5 stars and gave an additional tip of: $2.00
Answer was well worth the wait.

Thanks for the info!

Subject: Re: Moving to Mexico
From: mwshead-ga on 19 Sep 2005 14:48 PDT
Those links are very helpful.  We are getting ready to move to Mexico
in February of 2006. (

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy