Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Historical Autopsy and Police files ( Answered 5 out of 5 stars,   1 Comment )
Subject: Historical Autopsy and Police files
Category: Miscellaneous
Asked by: weldon67-ga
List Price: $30.00
Posted: 30 Aug 2005 20:07 PDT
Expires: 29 Sep 2005 20:07 PDT
Question ID: 562447
My grandfather committed suicide in Los Angeles in 1948 by throwing
himself off of a gas storage tank.  I've just received his death
certificate and it says there was an autopsy done at the time.  I
would like to know if it's possible to get a copy of the autopsy
report and a copy of the police file.  My family is interested in
finding out whether there may be a suicide note in one of these files.
 I would also like to know where I would look to see if there was any
mention in the newspapers at the time.
Subject: Re: Historical Autopsy and Police files
Answered By: nenna-ga on 30 Aug 2005 20:58 PDT
Rated:5 out of 5 stars
Good evening weldon67 and thank you for your question.

I contacted the Los Angeles County Coroner's office in CA and spoke to
them about how to obtain the coroner's report (I apologize but I did
not get the name of the person I spoke to.)  I was told that in order
to obtain certified copies of the autopsy/coroner's report, you need
to send a written request with the decedents name and date of death
along with a SASE envelope to:

Marsha Grigsby, Records Supervisor
1104 North Mission Road
Los Angeles, CA 90033-1578

There is a fee for the Coroner's Report, which will be quoted after
receipt of the request for the report.  Fees vary, depending on the
type of autopsy/examination performed and the type of report compiled.
 Reports will be mailed as soon as they are complete and fees are

There are two parts to a coroner?s report.  

1. Coroner's Register, which includes all of the biographical
information, a history of the case, and witnesses; and

2.  Necropsy Report, a multiple page report with autopsy details.

The Coroner?s Register might hold some of the information you are
looking for, such as a suicide note or news story.

The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department has this to say about
obtaining a police report:

"How can I get a copy of a police report?  

A: Depending on the nature of the report and any confidentiality
issues involved, report copies are generally available through the
station that took the report. There is a fee of $12.00 each report.
Reports take approximately one week to become available - traffic
accident reports may take longer. If you do not have the report's file
number, please be prepared to supply the date, time, location and name
of the parties involved to assist us in locating the proper report."

( )

I would try to give them a call as I cannot verify how far back they
keep reports.  You can reach them at:

Leroy D. Baca, Sheriff
Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department
4700 Ramona Blvd.
Monterey Park, CA 91754
(323) 526-5541

As far as being mentioned in the newspaper, I would suggest that you
contact the Los Angeles Times as it was and still is a pretty
prominent newspaper.

Los Angeles Times
202 W. 1st Street
Los Angeles, CA 90012
Phone: (213) 237-5000

According to their website, "... If the family-placed obituary was
placed prior to April 26, 2001, then you will need to order a manual
professional search for $40 by calling our Archives Department at
1-800-788-8804. They will search for the death notice for up to one
week after the date of death which you will need to provide them."

( )

If this answer requires further explanation, please request
clarification before rating it, and I'll be happy to look into this

Google Answers Researcher


Los Angeles County Department of Coroner
( )

Los Angeles Sheriff?s Department
( )
weldon67-ga rated this answer:5 out of 5 stars
Thanks for your help, that gives me a lot to go on!

Subject: Re: Historical Autopsy and Police files
From: nenna-ga on 31 Aug 2005 14:16 PDT
Thank you very much for your kind rating and good luck!


Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy