Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Chair for elderly guy needs to be elevated ( No Answer,   4 Comments )
Subject: Chair for elderly guy needs to be elevated
Category: Health > Seniors
Asked by: ethan212-ga
List Price: $10.00
Posted: 09 Sep 2005 13:15 PDT
Expires: 09 Oct 2005 13:15 PDT
Question ID: 566161
My stepfather is 82 years old and his hip has been dislocating. His
doctor says he needs to 'sit higher'. We have tried with various
cushions but they just get squished down. Is there a kind of foan
rubber that holds its shape better than regular cheap foan cushions?
We could use about 4-6 inches of elevation. Thanks in advance for your
help here.
There is no answer at this time.

Subject: Re: Chair for elderly guy needs to be elevated
From: pinkfreud-ga on 09 Sep 2005 13:27 PDT
Have you tried a T-foam cushion? They are not inexpensive, but they
offer good support and comfort.
Subject: Re: Chair for elderly guy needs to be elevated
From: myoarin-ga on 09 Sep 2005 19:56 PDT
I won't ask why a foam cushion can cost $80, mainly because I would
suggest an even more expensive solution:  a new chair for the elderly.
 My father was pleased with his and my mother-in-law even more so.

It doesn't have to be something like this:

I was thinking more along this line:

but, of course, from a US producers, if that is where you are.
Maybe this:

There must be other US products similar to the English ones.
Admittedly, this is a much more costly solution, but one that may
eventually have to be considered.
Subject: Re: Chair for elderly guy needs to be elevated
From: angy-ga on 10 Sep 2005 05:10 PDT
That's a point - where are you  located?

Also, have a look at the lounge rooms in your local retirement
villages - chance are they are furnished with high seated chairs -
they range from tacky plastic to elegant furniture.

Is a hip replacement out of the question? Mine only took 1.5 hours
through a tiny incision, but I am not quite 60, and my insurance
covered most of it. For his age group its a matter of general health
and motivation, if cost isn't a factor.
Subject: Re: Chair for elderly guy needs to be elevated
From: owain-ga on 11 Sep 2005 05:28 PDT
The simplest way is probably to use chair raisers under the legs. This
is the sort of thing, but they may be available free from your local
social work occupational health department.


Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy