Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Medical terminology ( Answered 5 out of 5 stars,   1 Comment )
Subject: Medical terminology
Category: Health > Women's Health
Asked by: dianer522-ga
List Price: $2.00
Posted: 12 Sep 2005 11:34 PDT
Expires: 12 Oct 2005 11:34 PDT
Question ID: 567216
I'm looking for the correct word and spelling of a word that sounds
like "voc" used in the following sentence:  If the patient is going to
be in surgery for a lumpectomy, the surgeon can request an emergency
needle "voc" from us.
Subject: Re: Medical terminology
Answered By: tutuzdad-ga on 12 Sep 2005 12:23 PDT
Rated:5 out of 5 stars
Dear dianer522-ga;

Thank you for allowing me to answer your interesting question. The
term ?VOC? is an acronym for ?volatile organic compounds?. A needle
aspiration can sometimes identify a cancer (or the presence of it) in
some tissues by first detecting the presence of volatile organic
compounds using sensitive analytical equipment. In addition there are
believed to be certain volatile markers in the breath of some patients
that can also be analyzed for the presence of volatile organic
compounds and thus, potentially, cancer.

?Volatile Organic Compounds or VOCs are organic chemicals that easily
vaporize at room temperature. They are called organic because they
contain the element carbon in their molecular structures. VOCs have no
colour, smell, or taste. VOCs include a very wide range of individual
substances, such as hydrocarbons (for example benzene and toluene),
halocarbons and oxygenates.?

I hope you find that my answer exceeds your expectations. If you have
any questions about my research please post a clarification request
prior to rating the answer. Otherwise I welcome your rating and your
final comments and I look forward to working with you again in the
near future. Thank you for bringing your question to us.

Best regards;
Tutuzdad-ga ? Google Answers Researcher



?Exhaled volatile organic compounds in patients with non-small cell
lung cancer: cross sectional and nested short-term follow-up study?



Google ://





Volatile organic compounds
dianer522-ga rated this answer:5 out of 5 stars

Subject: Re: Medical terminology
From: pinkfreud-ga on 12 Sep 2005 11:52 PDT
Is there any chance that the word could be "biop"? I've heard this
used as an abbreviation for "biopsy."

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy