Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Child Care Tax Deductions ( Answered,   0 Comments )
Subject: Child Care Tax Deductions
Category: Business and Money > Accounting
Asked by: talismon-ga
List Price: $5.00
Posted: 22 Sep 2005 09:01 PDT
Expires: 22 Oct 2005 09:01 PDT
Question ID: 570989
I live in Virginia and I currently pay the mother of my child $1277
per month.  $600 of this is for child care that she pays to her mother
to watch our child during the day.  Can I deduct the child care
portion on my tax returns?
Subject: Re: Child Care Tax Deductions
Answered By: taxmama-ga on 24 Sep 2005 15:49 PDT
Dear Talismon-GA,

Nope. Sorry to tell you. 

If you are paying for child support,
none of that is deductible. 

In fact, even if you pay the child care
costs directly, since your child is not
your dependent on your tax return, you 
won't be able to take the child care credit.

I know. It's a lot of money, and you can
certainly use the tax break. 

But you can read more about the rules here,
in IRS Publication 503. In particular, read
about the test to claim the credit:

And the Child of Divorced Parents rules:

In essence, if your ex-wife signs over the
right for you to claim your child as a dependent,
using Form 8332, then you may take advantage of 
the Child Care Credit, too. Without that signed're out of luck.

I wish I had a more positive answer. But, at least
now you know what you need to get signed in order
to get the tax benefits.

What I usually do with my clients who have only one
child, is to arrange for them to take turns getting
the dependency exemption every other year.

I hope you can arrange that - it's a fair deal.

Best wishes,

Your TaxMama-ga
There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy