Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Becomming a US Citizen getting a US passport ( No Answer,   3 Comments )
Subject: Becomming a US Citizen getting a US passport
Category: Relationships and Society > Government
Asked by: ruskey99-ga
List Price: $20.00
Posted: 30 Sep 2005 08:23 PDT
Expires: 05 Oct 2005 05:29 PDT
Question ID: 574629

I just got married last year and am trying to help my wife get a US
passport so she can travel with me out of the country.

She was born in Mexico City but her mom brought her in to the US when
she was 2 years old.

She has always lived in the US since and has grown up and gone to school here.

The problem is that her mother due to her situation at the time did
not get her registered in Mexico so she dosen't even have a Mexican
Birth Certificate.

And since she was born in mexico she does not have a US passport to be
able to travel with me.

We just moved to Bradenton, Florida are new to the area and have no
clue where to begin to get her a US passport.

My questions are:

1. Where do we need to go apply?
2. What are the proceedures?
3. What documents do we need to present?
4. What forms do we need to fill out?
5. Where do i get the forms?
6. How long is this process going to take?

Thank you very much for your help.
There is no answer at this time.

Subject: Re: Becomming a US Citizen getting a US passport
From: myoarin-ga on 30 Sep 2005 18:42 PDT
This is the site of the US Citizenship and Immigration Service:

I rather expect that it will not provide an answer to your wife's lack
of documentation, but give it a try, use its search facility.

Does your mother-in-law have legal status in the States?  Can she achieve such?
I think there was a program to recognize illegal immigrants.  It may
apply for your wife.

The USCIS site warns against commercial sites that advise on
immigration, but maybe there are some that address the situation, and
you could piece together somer information that could help you.

I hope this can help, 
regards, Myoarin
Subject: Re: Becomming a US Citizen getting a US passport
From: irlandes-ga on 04 Oct 2005 16:07 PDT
Having loved ones who have had legal immigration problems, in this
case I would recommend obtaining a good immigration attorney.  You can
really have problems if you make mistakes, and this is a serious

Note I said, "Good". Any old attorney will not do the job, and can
make your problems worse.
Subject: Re: Becomming a US Citizen getting a US passport
From: ruskey99-ga on 05 Oct 2005 05:29 PDT
Ok thank you guys for your feedback.

I've decided to hire an immigration attorney to help us with this matter.

Thank You

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy