Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Fathers right of a name change for child?? ( No Answer,   1 Comment )
Subject: Fathers right of a name change for child??
Category: Family and Home > Parenting
Asked by: mojogirl127-ga
List Price: $2.50
Posted: 06 Oct 2005 11:47 PDT
Expires: 05 Nov 2005 10:47 PST
Question ID: 577226
I had a child out of wedlock. The father was not present and his name
is not on the childs birth certificate. It is very important to me
that the child has my last name. Does he as a father have any rights
as to forcing me to change my childs name to his. I am in San Diego,
California. A while ago I found info stating that it is the mother
that decides the childs last name and the father has no say. Looking
for an answer and possibly a way to find more info on the net about
this matter.
There is no answer at this time.

Subject: Re: Fathers right of a name change for child??
From: irlandes-ga on 08 Oct 2005 19:53 PDT
I am not an attorney. I did a lot of counseling of divorced fathers,
and also a few non-custodial mothers, which involved a lot of legal
reading.  If you want a 100% certain answer, you are going to need to
obtain an attorney.

However, as a general rule, rather than applying a recommendation to
your specific case, in the circumstances you have described, if you
simply use your preferred surname, the father will need to go to court
and will be fighting an uphill battle. First, he would have to
establish paternity if it has not been done, then he would have to
show a valid and important reason to change the child's name from what
you have called it.  Unless he has a close relationship with the
child, he would probably lose anyway. Especially if you are able to
express a solid reason for the name you have chosen.

He can't simply walk up to you and tell you to change the name.

Contrary to what certain extremists may have led you to believe, men,
especially unwed fathers, simply are not granted many rights by most
judges. It is even worse if he is not paying child support. As I said,
it is an uphill battle, more so if he is not closely involved with the

In any case, I think you should just do what you want, and don't worry about this.

I do think you have the right as you state, subject to an uphill
battle to force you to change it.

The reason one should always see an attorney on cases like this, is
because you have not given all the details which might affect this
case, and it is probably not appropriate to do so. (e.g. -
circumstances of conception, that is, an involved relationship or
casual sex; his involvement with you and later the child; the number
of times he has seen the child; the name given the child on the birth
certificate; etc.)

It is true back in the 80's, there was a case where a divorced father
was upset because the mother changed the children's name, and the
judge ruled she could do so.  That was a divorce case, the father had
had a long-term relationship with his kids, and I thought it stunk,
but in the case of unwed mother, there should be no problem if you
simply go ahead and do that. Without asking.

I know in some states, the child takes your name if the father's  name
is not on the birth certificate. If your surname is already on the
b/c, put it out of your mind.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy