Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Scoliosis doctor recommendation in southern England ( No Answer,   4 Comments )
Subject: Scoliosis doctor recommendation in southern England
Category: Health > Children
Asked by: dogbreath-ga
List Price: $20.00
Posted: 17 Oct 2005 15:05 PDT
Expires: 16 Nov 2005 14:05 PST
Question ID: 581397
It's for a 14 year old boy with a very slight curvature of the spine
(1 cm or so off-centre-line in the middle).  We are looking for the
name/address/tel for one or two specialists in Scoliosis who will do a
private initial consultation to review if it's worth going any further
with investigation.  We can travel to London or anywhere else in
southern England.  We prefer normal ortopedic specialists, rather than
alternative medicine approaches (one prominent one in 12 Harley Street
looks like alternative medicine mainly). Obviously if anyone has any
personal family experience of scoliosis specialists that did a
particularly good job, that info would be much appreciated.

Clarification of Question by dogbreath-ga on 17 Oct 2005 15:10 PDT
BTW, he has absolutely no other symptoms of Scoliosis, back pain or
family history of Scoliosis. We just noticed the very slight
curvature.  So not sure if we are being over cautious even bothering
to investigate at this stage.  Thoughts welcome as well, but not the
main question.
There is no answer at this time.

Subject: Re: Scoliosis doctor recommendation in southern England
From: traducer-ga on 18 Oct 2005 09:23 PDT
This may be a good place to start asking your questions:
The London Spinal Injuries Unit Based at the Royal National
Orthopaedic Hospital, Stanmore.
Consultants Dr F Middleton, MRCP Consultant in Rehabilitation
Medicine. Mr J I Bailey, FRCS Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon. Dr
Matthew, Staff doctor to the spinal injuries unit.
Address for Correspondence The London Spinal Injuries Unit Royal
National Orthopaedic Hospital Brockley Hill STANMORE HA7 4LP
Telephone: 020 89542300 Fax: 020 89542527
(This informtion provided without liability)
Subject: Re: Scoliosis doctor recommendation in southern England
From: dogbreath-ga on 19 Oct 2005 02:58 PDT
traducer-ga, many thanks for your comment.  Yes this looks like an
excellent place to start talking to.  Will call them now.
Subject: Re: Scoliosis doctor recommendation in southern England
From: jpariag-ga on 19 Oct 2005 09:24 PDT
Since I live in Canada I cannot offer any help with your question, but
I myself suffer from scoliosis and have had it surgically corrected,
so I thought I would add my 2 cents in.

Firstly, I am not sure how you can diagnose your son with scoliosis
without first taking x-rays of his back, especially if the curvature
is very slight. It is usually difficult to tell just by examining the
person, unless you are trained to do so.

Secondly, if you do suspect that your son has scoliosis then it is
important that you have him examined by a doctor as soon as possible.
Any doctor should be able to diagnose scoliosis from x-rays. Since he
is so young, and the curvature is very slight it should be correctable
with bracing. Surgery is a last resort and should be avoided at all
costs (My curve required surgery).

Just my thoughts.
Subject: Re: Scoliosis doctor recommendation in southern England
From: healthyresearch-ga on 01 Dec 2005 02:31 PST
Dr. Stephen West has developed a new technique to relax the intrinsic
muscles of the spine, which contains 125 of these little guys.  A few
weeks ago helped a 14 year old girl as a challenge, and obtained 1/8
inch improvement from one single session, with a live audience of
about 10 people as witnesses. The girl had 40% scoliosis and with
every other treatment she had experienced prior to this time from
everyone else, with every push or pull imaginable, she was only worse
after treatment.  She still has a long way to go.  This is a very
serious disease, with very, very, very few who recover, once they are
that bad.

Clarity University is International and also provides long distance
education with home-study courses in the form of CD's and DVD's.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy