Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Credit card debt ( Answered 4 out of 5 stars,   0 Comments )
Subject: Credit card debt
Category: Business and Money > Consulting
Asked by: mbhdude-ga
List Price: $10.00
Posted: 18 Oct 2005 15:19 PDT
Expires: 17 Nov 2005 14:19 PST
Question ID: 581863
In Washington State, is there a Statute of Limitations for credit card
companies to sue the debtor?  I have read 3 years is the limit. Even
though it will show up on credit report for 7 years. I have not had
any activity on the account since Dec 2001.
Subject: Re: Credit card debt
Answered By: efn-ga on 18 Oct 2005 22:40 PDT
Rated:4 out of 5 stars
Hi mbhdude,

I found a number of web pages that confirmed that there is a statute
of limitations for debt lawsuits in Washington state, and that the
period for a credit card account is three years.

The time allowed for a creditor to file a lawsuit depends on the kind
of debt.  Credit cards are considered to be in the "open account"
category, for which the time limit is three years.

As these pages will tell you, the expiration of the time does not mean
that a creditor cannot sue you, but it does mean you have a defense if
that happens.  The expiration of the time also does not prevent a
creditor from trying to persuade you to pay in ways other than suing

I'll list some pages.  They all tell similar stories.

"Statute Of Limitations For Debts" on the CardReport website

"Statute of Limitations on Debts" on the Credit Infocenter website

"All about the Statute of Limitations for Debts, Judgments & Taxes"
from Carreon and Associates

"State statutes of limitations for old debts" on

Search Strategy

statute limitations debt

Disclaimer:  Google Answers does not provide professional legal advice.

mbhdude-ga rated this answer:4 out of 5 stars and gave an additional tip of: $5.00
Thanks for the answer.  that is what I was looking for.

There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy