Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: commercial music rights ( Answered,   0 Comments )
Subject: commercial music rights
Category: Arts and Entertainment > Music
Asked by: harlequine-ga
List Price: $25.00
Posted: 19 Oct 2005 12:37 PDT
Expires: 18 Nov 2005 11:37 PST
Question ID: 582229
Hello, I need to find out the usage cost for the song "Gimme Some
Lovin" as recorded by
Spencer Davis Group -- I believe written by Steve Winwood -- for a TV
spot for a QSR client. Need this information today, ASAP. Thank you.

Request for Question Clarification by pafalafa-ga on 19 Oct 2005 14:16 PDT

My understanding of things is that the license fee is very variable,
depending on type of use, frequency of use, size of the audience, and
so on.  I don't think Google Answers will be able to provide you
actual fee information.

If you've licensed music before, perhaps you are already familiar with
the variabilities I just described.

However, we can certainly direct you to the organization that holds
the rights to 'Gimme Some Lovin' (ahhh...the classics!), so that you
can contact them directly for fee and licensing information.

Would that meet your needs?


Clarification of Question by harlequine-ga on 19 Oct 2005 15:19 PDT
yes that would be perfect, thanx!
Subject: Re: commercial music rights
Answered By: pafalafa-ga on 19 Oct 2005 15:30 PDT
Thanks for the quick response.

The rights for Gimme Some Loving, as performed by the Spencer Davis
Group, are managed by the music services company, BMI:

and is referenced as BMI Work #469118.

BMI can arrange a license with you to use this work in the TV spot you
are working on.

Their information page for TV licensing information is here:

thier FAQs page is here:

and their licensing for commercials page is here:

For some works, there is sometimes more than one party to contact for
licensing permissions.  BMI can help you negotiate the process.  Their
contact information is herre:

I trust this information fully meets your needs.

However, please do not rate this answer if you find you need
additional information.  Just post a Request for Clarification, and
I'm at your service.



search strategy -- Used bookmarked sites for music licensing
companies, and searched BMI's page for Gimme Some Loving.

Request for Answer Clarification by harlequine-ga on 21 Oct 2005 11:41 PDT
Thanks again for your useful info. 

But I'm a little confused. If I want to use the recorded version of a
song, do I need to go to 2 different sources, one for the song usage
license, and another for the recorded usage rights?

Clarification of Answer by pafalafa-ga on 21 Oct 2005 11:51 PDT
Music licensing can be amazingly convoluted.  You've got the lyrics
writer, the music writer, the performer(s), the production company,
the record label and who knows who else all wanting a piece of the

That's why companies like BMI exist in the first place -- they are
rights management companies, that work out the arrangements for each
and every musical property in their repetoire.

The actual arrangements can be different for each piece of music.  So
the only way to know for certain what's what, would be to contact BMI.

Hopefully, it will be a one-stop shopping experience.  

But if you need to be in touch with anyone else, such as the record
label, BMI should be able to put you in contact with the right

If you've contacted BMI already, and you're not getting clear
guidance, let me know a bit more about what's going on, and I'll see
if I can provide a bit more detail.

All the best,


Request for Answer Clarification by harlequine-ga on 21 Oct 2005 12:20 PDT
Yes, I did contact BMI but they weren't 100% clear. 
I have to jump through several hoops, I guess, to get an actual price.

Clarification of Answer by pafalafa-ga on 21 Oct 2005 12:36 PDT
Like I said, it can get complicated!

Here's a possible "Plan B".

At the BMI listing for Gimme Some Loving:

the list the two publishers holding rights to the recording:


If you click on each of the publishers names, you'll be taken to
direct contact information for each.

Try giving them a buzz, and see if they can add some clarity to the process.

And again, let me know if there's anything more I can do.  I'm happy
to stick with it, until you get just what you need.


Request for Answer Clarification by harlequine-ga on 25 Oct 2005 16:34 PDT
I appreciate your suggestions, they have helped me a lot, and I did as
you suggested and contacted the publishers but have had no response
from them. I need to get this off the dime. Any suggestions as to how
to get a quick answer? The timeclock is ticking very loudly in my ear.

I'd be glad to have you email me directly at --
label it "Song Rights" and I'll reply right away.


Clarification of Answer by pafalafa-ga on 25 Oct 2005 17:56 PDT

I'm afraid you've strayed into forbidden territory here ar Google
Answers.  Customers are not supposed to post their email addresses,
and all communication is intended to occur right here in these text
boxes...hope you don't mind.

The music business is actually notorious for the difficulties it
creates in getting licenses for popular music.  Unless you're Steve
Jobs planning the next IPOD commercial, they tend to ignore many of
their phone calls and faxes.  If you're truly in a rush, you may have
to pursue multiple strategies, and perhaps line up some alternative

For Gimme Some Loving, though, here are some alternative numbers for
Warner/Chappell, one of the license holders:

1290 Avenue of The Americas
23rd Floor, New York,10104

tel: 1-212-707-2600
fax: 1-212-405-5428/5429

Note that there are the names and extensions of a number of senior
executives on the list.  Call each and every one of them, regardless
of whether they have anything to do with copyright or not.

With luck, you'll get on the phone with a sympathetic staff person who
can help steer you to the right contacts, and get the licensing in

I can't make any promises, but all you can really do is give it your
best shot, and hope to get lucky.

Let me know how it turns out, and if there's anything else I can do to help.

All the best,

There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy