Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Renewing French Passport from within the US ( Answered,   0 Comments )
Subject: Renewing French Passport from within the US
Category: Relationships and Society > Government
Asked by: kindomind-ga
List Price: $20.00
Posted: 20 Oct 2005 10:44 PDT
Expires: 19 Nov 2005 09:44 PST
Question ID: 582677
My wife's French passport is due to expire in November. She would like
to renew her passport here in the U.S. Her immigration status is still
pending here in the U.S. and needs to have a valid photo I.D. until
she receives her green card. How should we proceed? Is there an online
renewal service or can we renew by mail only? What will we need to
renew her passport? Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Subject: Re: Renewing French Passport from within the US
Answered By: scriptor-ga on 20 Oct 2005 11:32 PDT
Dear kindomind,

Unfortunately, there is no option to renew the passport via the
Internet. French citizens residing in the USA who desire renewal of
their French passport must appear in person at a French consulate or
before an Honorary Consul to apply for renewal.

Old non-machine-readable passports will, when renewed, be replaced
with the new machine-readable passports, which takes a processing time
of currently about two weeks. The passport for renewal will be
returned to the applicant for use until the new passport arrives. In a
case of emergency, an old-format passport valid for one year will be
issued upon proof of the emergency (airline tickets, etc.). This, as
well of renewal of a passport, is subject to a fee.

When applying for renewal of a passport, you will have to present the
following documents:

The old passport

Proof of status:
- green card
- American passport
- employment authorization card
- valid US visa with I-94 (excluding B1/B2)
- for residents of Bermuda: landing permit or other proof of status

Recent proof of address:
- rent receipt, electricity or telephone bill, tax return, etc. under
your name or spouse?s name.

For students living on campus, a letter from the University attesting
to your address.

For persons without their own means, the following documents are
required from the guarantor.
- electricity or phone bill, rent receipt
- copy of an official ID with signature
- letter attesting to the address of the applicant

Two photos which must be;
- recent, 2 x 2 inch format with the face being 1 inch (25mm) 
in height, centered full-faced, without head covering, on a white or
light gray background.
The photos will be trimmed to the 35mm x 45mm format at 
the time the passport is produced.

If the passport to be renewed expired more than two years ago, one of
the following proofs of French nationality is required:
- valid French national identity card
- certificate of French nationality
- declaration of acquisition of French nationality
- naturalization certificate
- long-form copy of birth certificate for persons born in France, of
whom one parent was also born in France.

You can request that the new passport is delivered by mail; in this
case, a postage prepayed (certified or FedEx) envelope must be left at
the time of application.

See also the passport information of the French Consulate in New York:

Besides the numerous French Honorary Consuls in many towns and cites
all over the United States, There are French Consulates in the
following U.S. cities:





Los Angeles


New Orleans

New York

San Francisco

Washington, DC

In case of any difficulties, please contact your nearest Consulate for advice.

Hope this helps!
There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy