Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: US recognition of wedding in Jamaica, WI ( Answered,   0 Comments )
Subject: US recognition of wedding in Jamaica, WI
Category: Family and Home
Asked by: prettyaka-ga
List Price: $5.00
Posted: 29 Oct 2005 19:33 PDT
Expires: 28 Nov 2005 18:33 PST
Question ID: 586590
My husband and I were married in Jamaica, WI this past August. What
steps must we take to make the marriage valid in New York?
Subject: Re: US recognition of wedding in Jamaica, WI
Answered By: hummer-ga on 30 Oct 2005 06:45 PST
Hi prettyaka,

Congratulations!  The good news is that as long as everything was done
properly in Jamaica and you came home with a legal document (in
English), your marriage is already valid in the U.S..  What is
important are the laws of the country where the marriage took place.
An original marriage certificate, issued by The Ministry of National
Security and Justice in Jamaica, is legal and recognized
internationally and no further steps need be taken (as long as your
certificate was issued by the Ministry).

Validity of Marriages Abroad
"In general, marriages which are legally performed and valid abroad
are also legally valid in the United States."

"Your marriage will be legal and binding worldwide"

Marriage Laws   Caribbean    Jamaica:
"Jamaican weddings are legally recognized by the United States, its
territories, the United Kingdom and Canada."

The Ministry of National Security and Justice
12 Ocean Blvd., Kingston, Jamaica
Phone: (876)922-0080

Consulate General of Jamaica in New York
767 Third Ave, 2nd Floor, New York, NY 10017-2993
Tel: (212) 935-9000 Fax: (212) 935-7507

The Knot

I was glad to work on this for you. If you have any questions, please
post a clarification request and wait for me to respond before
closing/rating my answer.

Thank you,

Google Search Terms Used: jamaica marriage legal apostille
authentication hague convention
There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy