Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: small business tax advantage - vehicle purchase - Section 179 ( Answered 4 out of 5 stars,   0 Comments )
Subject: small business tax advantage - vehicle purchase - Section 179
Category: Business and Money > Small Businesses
Asked by: bizsandiego-ga
List Price: $25.00
Posted: 04 Nov 2005 17:24 PST
Expires: 04 Dec 2005 17:24 PST
Question ID: 589253
I have a small printing business. the income from this business is
about 30K. At my other fulltime job i get paid 80K. My wife makes 40K.
I do my taxes with all 3 incomes combined.

I would like to know how will the depreciation descibed in this link (
) apply to my situation. Since I make 150K a year 30+80+40) that means
that I pay taxes on that amount. by using the depreciation descripbed
in the article, If I purchase that vehicle for business use, does that
mean that I will get back $32,000 from the gvn't the first year?
(assuming that I already paid all taxes from my income)

Please advise

Request for Question Clarification by denco-ga on 04 Nov 2005 19:21 PST
Howdy bizsandiego-ga,

You might want to review this article.

"Small businesses benefit from Section 179 deduction"

"However, when it comes to vehicles purchased utilizing the Section 179
break, legislators took back some of the benefit as it related to large
sport utility vehicles. ... That changed on Oct. 22, when the American
Jobs Creation Act became law; now only company vehicles weighing 14,000
or more are eligible for the larger deduction amount."

Looking Forward, denco-ga - Google Answers Researcher
Subject: Re: small business tax advantage - vehicle purchase - Section 179
Answered By: wonko-ga on 05 Nov 2005 11:02 PST
Rated:4 out of 5 stars
To be eligible for the deduction, you must purchase the SUV for
business use.  To qualify as business use, the property must be used
more than 50% of the time for business in the year you place it in
service.  If you do not use 100% of the time for business, then you
have to prorate the cost of the property by its business use
percentage, which will correspondingly lower your deduction amount.

"Electing the Section 179 Deduction" IRS

Based on the following article, it appears that the expense and
depreciation schedule appearing at the web site you provided is

"Congress reversed itself last fall with passage of the American Jobs
Creation Act of 2004 and cinched back the SUV loophole from $100,000
to $25,000 while retaining both the 50-percent bonus deduction and the
five-year depreciation schedule. The deduction is claimed as a Section
179 expense, meaning you must be in business, filing a Schedule C or
corporate tax return, to claim it."

It is critically important to remember that tax deductions do not
offset an expense 100%.  "Even though a business expense can save you
30 to 65% in taxes -- depending upon your tax bracket and state and
city tax rates -- never spend just to save taxes.  It is not a
dollar-for-dollar write-off."

"Self-employed Tax Solutions" by Jean Walker, The Globe Pequot Press
(2005) page 197

Worst case, as a married filing jointly, if you do not have any state
or local taxes, you would effectively save 26% of each year's
deduction amount.  You are not going to get back $32,000 in the first
year.  You will instead be able to reduce your taxable income by
$32,000, which would result in a tax savings of at least $8,320 and
potentially more depending upon your particular tax situation. 
However, your refund would be significantly less than $32,000 in the
first year.

"2004 Individual Income Taxes Federal - Form 1040" by Kerry M.
Kerstetter (January 6, 2004)

The following article points out a variety of factors you should
consider before embarking on such a purchase, especially the high
operating costs of these types of vehicles.  Also, it is possible that
even the current more favorable tax treatment will be eliminated as
soon as the end of the year.  Therefore, you will want to investigate
your situation and act accordingly as soon as possible.

"Hummer tax break gets hammered" by J. McDonald,

"Is the SUV Tax Deduction Worth All the Fuss? The Latest on the SUV
Tax Deduction" by Chris Byrd, Self Employed Web (September 4, 2005)

Before you proceed with such a purchase, I strongly encourage you to
review your tax situation with a tax preparation professional to
determine exactly how much the tax benefit will be worth and whether
or not the benefit offsets the considerable expense associated with
these vehicles.  You will also need to be able to prove to the
government your percentage of business use by keeping a mileage log in
the event you are audited.  Furthermore, in order to claim the full
deduction, you must only use the vehicle for business purposes.



Search terms: Section 179 deduction; married filing jointly tax bracket

Request for Answer Clarification by bizsandiego-ga on 05 Nov 2005 12:00 PST
I have one followup question; what happens if I sell my vehicle after
2 years of use? Do I need to pay back the IRS for anything?

Clarification of Answer by wonko-ga on 06 Nov 2005 10:38 PST
Depending on the sales price, you may have a capital gain or loss on
the amount that exceeds your cost basis (your purchase price less
accumulated depreciation and the Section 179 deduction).  If you have
a gain, some of it may be treated as ordinary income.  The amount of
the gain will be taxable.

These articles describe this situation:

"If you are claiming depreciation on a business vehicle, see
Publication 463. If the car is not used more than 50% for business
during the tax year, you may have to recapture excess depreciation.
Include the excess depreciation in your gross income and add it to
your basis in the property. For information on the computation of
excess depreciation, see chapter 4 in [IRS] Publication 463."  The
publication is available at

"Adjusted Basis" Small Business IRS Tax Map 2004

"Recapture of deduction. If the business use of an asset falls below
50 percent or the property is disposed of, part of the section
179 deduction must be recaptured. The recapture does not affect the
total income that would be reported when the asset is disposed of, but
may affect the income that is considered a capital gain versus
ordinary income."

"Depreciation Rules for 2004" by Dr. Ruby Ward, Utah State University
(January 2003)


bizsandiego-ga rated this answer:4 out of 5 stars

There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy