Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: A question about cocktails ( No Answer,   5 Comments )
Subject: A question about cocktails
Category: Family and Home > Food and Cooking
Asked by: summerfeet-ga
List Price: $2.00
Posted: 17 Nov 2005 19:20 PST
Expires: 17 Dec 2005 19:20 PST
Question ID: 594473
what do you call the mixture of melted ice and left over alcohol in
the bottom of a cocktail shaker, that people sometimes drink
There is no answer at this time.

Subject: Re: A question about cocktails
From: steph53-ga on 17 Nov 2005 19:44 PST
Subject: Re: A question about cocktails
From: markvmd-ga on 17 Nov 2005 23:00 PST
During the time of royalty in Germany, the servants cleaning up after
feasts would collect the leftover drinks in a hogshead or similar
container, split it up amongst themselves, and enjoy it then or take
it home (usually for further fermentation). This was called the "kalte
ende", or cold end.

Later, a translation error changed this to "kalte ente" or Cold Duck.

I like the phrase cold end for the leftovers. Pretty descriptive, no?
Subject: Re: A question about cocktails
From: myoarin-ga on 18 Nov 2005 05:46 PST
Hmm, despite decades in Germany, I never heard (or found here, now)
that explanation.  These days Kalte Ente is a bottle of white wine, a
bottle of bubbly and lemon (or non-alcoholic: apple juice, soda water
and lemon).
Anyway, in my family, there was never anything left over in the
cocktail shaker, it was served as seconds.

Normally  - less attractively expressed than Steph has -  anything
left in a glass, bottle, barrel or other drinks container is called
the dregs.
Subject: Re: A question about cocktails
From: summerfeet-ga on 19 Nov 2005 06:18 PST
Thanks for all that, but there is a specific term for the mixture of
residual alcohol and melted ice from the bottom of a cocktail shaker
Subject: Re: A question about cocktails
From: myoarin-ga on 20 Nov 2005 04:27 PST

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy