Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: work visa in india? ( Answered 5 out of 5 stars,   0 Comments )
Subject: work visa in india?
Category: Reference, Education and News > Job and Careers
Asked by: shackman66-ga
List Price: $2.00
Posted: 23 Nov 2005 23:09 PST
Expires: 23 Dec 2005 23:09 PST
Question ID: 597004
I am a U.S. citizen who's been recently hired at a paper in New Delhi,
I simply wanted to know whether I need any special visas/documents in
order to work in India (HR has not dealt with this before).  I am
registered with the government as a visitor and currently have a ten
year multiple entry visa.
Subject: Re: work visa in india?
Answered By: answerfinder-ga on 24 Nov 2005 03:33 PST
Rated:5 out of 5 stars
Dear shackman66-ga,

The Indian Consulate, New York, provides information on the relevant
Visas. It appears you will have to apply for an Employment Visa. There
is detailed information on the page and a Visa Application Form. I
note there is also a Journalists Visa which is for three months. I
don?t know if this is applicable to your situation.

This is some of the relevant information.

?EMPLOYMENT VISA: Employment visas are initially issued for one-year
stay. A copy of the contract with the employer has to be enclosed.
Kindly note that Employment Visa is given only for jobs that require
very high level of skills and expertise. This can be extended by
Foreigners Regional Registration Office in India, if the job contract
continues. Spouses and children are granted co-terminus entry visas on

?General inquiries or supply of application forms: Please write or
send fax to Consulate General of India, 3 East 64th Street, New York,
New York 10021. Tel. (212) 774-0600, (212) 774-0610, Fax (212)
570-9581, E-mail:

The Indian Embassy (details below), states that,
?Note:  Change of purpose is not permitted once you have reached
India.  Depending on the nature of your journey, apply for the correct
visa category.?

Indian Embassy , Washington. Visa information.

This is the Washington telephone number for Visa enquires.
Visa Services

I hope this answers your question. If it does not, or the answer is
unclear, then please ask for clarification of this research before
rating the answer. I shall respond to the clarification request as
soon as I receive it.
Thank you

Search strategy
?working visa? india us
"employment visa" india us
shackman66-ga rated this answer:5 out of 5 stars

There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy