Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Name of device, at the base of front door, to keep weather out. ( Answered 5 out of 5 stars,   1 Comment )
Subject: Name of device, at the base of front door, to keep weather out.
Category: Miscellaneous
Asked by: clicker5-ga
List Price: $15.00
Posted: 06 Dec 2005 16:44 PST
Expires: 05 Jan 2006 16:44 PST
Question ID: 602361
Question:  What is the name of this clever device:
As the homes front entry door closes, a button (or rod) at the base of
the door pushes against the door jamb, and lowers a device to close
the gap between the door and the threshold to keep the weather out.
Subject: Re: Name of device, at the base of front door, to keep weather out.
Answered By: juggler-ga on 06 Dec 2005 17:04 PST
Rated:5 out of 5 stars

I believe you're thinking of what's called an "automatic door bottom"
or an "automatic door sweep."

'A fairly new innovation in weather stripping is the mechanically
operated "automatic" door bottom. In this model a vinyl seal is
automatically lowered against the floor when the door is shut. The
seal retracts when the door is opened.'

Automatic Door sweep

Automatic Door Sweep

Also see: Pemko Manufacturing Company Door Bottoms

search strategy:
"door jamb" weather "Drops down"
"automatic door bottom"
"automatic door sweep"

I hope this helps. If anything is unclear, please let me know via the
"request clarification" feature.
clicker5-ga rated this answer:5 out of 5 stars and gave an additional tip of: $5.00
Hello juggler:
Five stars for the five star answer.
Thank you for the answer to the “bottom of front door problem”.
My wife purchased a throw rug for our front entry area, and I need to
cut the bottom of the door for rug clearance.  And the “automatic door
bottom” is the exact answer to the problem.

Also, I checked several of your prior answers and comments to my
questions over the past several years.  We have worked together on the
purchase of a new airplane, the sale of a California residence, and
several interesting subjects from aluminum foil paper, books on logic
and drunk driving in Sweden, ect, ect.
Thank you for your disciplined, correct approach to any subject.
clicker5.  (Small tip for a cup of coffee, or a soft drink)

Subject: Re: Name of device, at the base of front door, to keep weather out.
From: juggler-ga on 06 Dec 2005 21:38 PST
Nice to work with you again!   Thank you for the tip and the kind words.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy