Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Going Back to Graduate School. What happen with my H1B 6 year period? ( No Answer,   2 Comments )
Subject: Going Back to Graduate School. What happen with my H1B 6 year period?
Category: Reference, Education and News > Job and Careers
Asked by: noodlestudio-ga
List Price: $25.00
Posted: 13 Dec 2005 08:12 PST
Expires: 12 Jan 2006 08:12 PST
Question ID: 605267
I really want to go to graduate school (full time). 

I am currently working as a Software Engineer with an H1B status for
my second company. The second company requested a 3 years period of
H1B visa.

I worked for about 2 years with my first company and transfered my H1B
to second company. It's been 6 months now since I joined my second
company, and would like to quit working to become a full time students
(to change status from H1B to F1).

What happen to my H1B if I switch to F1? If I found a company to
sponsor me after completing my graduate school, will I still have the
remaining 3.5 yrs (6 yrs - 2 yrs of my first job - 1/2 yrs of my
second job = 3.5)  ?

Please include proof of evident (goverment website) of your
information because my legal status lies on your information. Greatly
There is no answer at this time.

Subject: Re: Going Back to Graduate School. What happen with my H1B 6 year period?
From: dreams279-ga on 14 Dec 2005 14:55 PST
Noodle Studio,
  You don't lose your H1 B years even you go to the school now.

Following link will give you more on this information.

This is true and you can clarify with your lawyer.
..following give more information on this.

Hope this helps.
Subject: Re: Going Back to Graduate School. What happen with my H1B 6 year period?
From: myoarin-ga on 15 Dec 2005 07:01 PST
Noodle Studio,
May I point out that the links given by Dream279 are to commercial
sites and not the US government's US Citizenship and Immigration
On the above page it says that employment must be continued to
maintain H-1B status.
On this following page, however, you can click for information about
changing your nonimmigrant status to that of student:

You can click on FAQs at the top to access more information.

The www.h1bsponsors site mentions changing status, but FROM F1 to
H-1B, not the other way around.  I must have overseen any applicable
information on the other site.

OF COURSE, none of this is professional or legal advice, as you can
read in the disclaimer below.
I wish you good luck, Myoarin

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy