Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: retrieving criminal records ( No Answer,   3 Comments )
Subject: retrieving criminal records
Category: Relationships and Society
Asked by: bobcatnyc-ga
List Price: $5.00
Posted: 15 Dec 2005 12:33 PST
Expires: 14 Jan 2006 12:33 PST
Question ID: 606271
how can i retreive my criminal record for visa applications? i have
never been arrested or detained by the police, but many foreign
governments need such documentation before extending visa. i have
noticed that many pay-for services on the internet provide this
service, but is this legal and will foreign countries consider these
reports valid?so i need to know how to retrieve national and/or state
criminal records?

Request for Question Clarification by pafalafa-ga on 15 Dec 2005 12:37 PST
I don't quite understand.

Since you don't have a criminal record, what is there to retrieve?

Clarification of Question by bobcatnyc-ga on 15 Dec 2005 13:34 PST
well, eventhough i dont have a criminal history .. many foreign
governments require state issued documents stating exactly that .. i
know it seems ridiculous to have to produce documents that say
nothing, but it is required to have a criminal history or record for
visa applications.
There is no answer at this time.

Subject: Re: retrieving criminal records
From: pinkfreud-ga on 15 Dec 2005 13:46 PST
There are instructions here for "HOW TO OBTAIN A POLICE CERTIFICATE
Subject: Re: retrieving criminal records
From: irlandes-ga on 16 Dec 2005 21:36 PST
I don't have time to read the provided link, but as a person who
spends much time in Mexico, and have investigated the FM-3 process
which has such a requirement, I assure you that a signed document or
letter from your local police stating there are no criminal records on
that person, or listing the records that exist, is what is expected.
You cannot pull your own records, the police have to give you such a
document. Here in McAllen, they have a standard procedure for this
document. Inland far from the border, it may be harder to get it done,
and if so get an immigration attorney to help you.

If there is something unpleasant, and you would know if it is true, in
the case of  Mexico, one can spend considerable time there on a
tourist permit, though owning property or having a bank account is not
possible. (Use ATM"s.) Other nations where one cannot walk across the
border are going to be more complex.
Subject: Re: retrieving criminal records
From: ccmd-ga on 16 Jan 2006 20:59 PST
I am assuming that BobcatNYC is from NYC.  Years ago, I needed just
such a letter for a Mexican visa.  I had to take a trip down to 1
Police Plaza in Manhattan (NYPD Headquarters), fill out a form and be
fingerprinted.  After processing the fingerprints and running your
name through a computer search, they will send you the letter
certifying that you have a clean record.

This is from the NYPD website:


1 Police Plaza - Room 152-A 
New York, N.Y. 10038-1497 
(646) 610-5541 
Monday through Friday; 9 A.M. to 4:00 P.M.        

Ms. Teresa Simms, Administrator in Charge 



The Mission of the Public Inquiry & Request Section is to process
applicants for Good Conduct Certificates, which are criminal history
searches within the environs of New York City, indicating whether or
not the applicant has a criminal history.  Good conduct certificates
are only issued under specific guidelines (see additional
requirements). The Section also takes Non-Criminal Fingerprints which
may be required to get certain permits or licenses.


New York City Residents

An applicant for a Good Conduct Certificate, who is a New York City
Resident, must apply in person between the hours of 9 A.M and 3:00
P.M., Monday through Friday (Holidays excluded), at the Public Inquiry
& Request Section, located at Police Headquarters.  The applicant will
be fingerprinted and is required to submit a thirty-dollar ($30.00)
money order or certified check payable to the New York City Police
Department. Processing takes approximately ten working days.

Non - NYC Resident (Formerly resided within the five Boroughs)

An applicant for a Good Conduct Certificate who resides outside New
York City, who was formerly a New York City resident, must send or
deliver to the Public Inquiry & Request Section:

An Official Fingerprint chart bearing the applicant's fingerprints
from the location where the applicant resides.  The chart must
The signature of the official who fingerprinted the applicant. 
The date the applicant was fingerprinted. 
All Personal Data must be filled in. 
Applicants must also enclose a a thirty dollar ($30.00) money order or
certified check, in United States currency and drawn on a United
States Bank, payable to the New York City Police Department.

A United States Citizen is required to bring one of the following as
proof of citizenship: Birth Certificate, Voter's Registration Card and
a Valid Driver's License or DMV issued Identification Card or Valid

A Non-US Citizen is required is required to bring the following when
making an application: Valid Passport or Alien Registration Card or
letter from the Department of Immigration & Naturalization indicating
the applicant's name, address and current status in this country, or a
letter from a Consulate which contains the applicant's physical
description and date of birth.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy