Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: upholstry terminology ( Answered,   0 Comments )
Subject: upholstry terminology
Category: Family and Home > Home
Asked by: hct-ga
List Price: $5.00
Posted: 25 Sep 2002 11:10 PDT
Expires: 25 Oct 2002 11:10 PDT
Question ID: 68965
What is D & F stand for in the upholstery field? What does D & F look like?

Request for Question Clarification by nauster-ga on 25 Sep 2002 12:45 PDT
In what context did you hear or see this term?

Clarification of Question by hct-ga on 25 Sep 2002 14:35 PDT
Thanks for the prompt response.I need to find definitions on some
vocabulaies related to upholstery. "D & F" is amoung my vocabulary
list. For your reference, there are t-cushion, bun feet,waterfall arm,
knife edge...etc, on the list. I guss "D & F" is part of upholstry
furniture or style of the furniture . I actually found definition on
other words on the web but not "D&F".
Subject: Re: upholstry terminology
Answered By: leli-ga on 25 Sep 2002 14:38 PDT
Hello hct 

As soon as I saw your question I wanted to tell you that 'd & f' =
'down and feather' used as an upholstery filling, but I've had to work
hard to find 'proof' on the net that this is true. After lots of
searching, I've found one single site which I think proves my point.

Here are the specifications for the "cushion fill" of the upholstered
backs on some furniture:

1- 40" x 40" Corner Piece. Welted.
- with - 1 25/75 spring and down seat cushion -
5”Box welt
- 2 50/50 down and feather return backs
- Bull nose
1 - 60" Left Arm Facing - No bed. Arm with welted/shirred fitted panel
and welted tack panel.
- with - 2 25/75 spring and down seat cushion
- 5" Box welt
-2 50/50 d & f backs - Bull nose
1 - 85" Right Arm Facing - Queen bed/Deluxe.
Arm with welted/shirred fitted panel with welted tack panel - with - 3
25/75 spring and down
seat cushion
- 5"Box welt
-3 50/50 d & f backs - Bull nose"

As you can see the backs for the corner piece are described as '50/50
down and feather', while for the other sections it's given as '50/50 d
& f'.

This is in paragraph 4.3 at:

(This website works fine with Internet Explorer but if you're using a
different browser you may have problems.  I was using Mozilla and
could only 'find' the words by holding down the left button of the
mouse and moving it across the whole page to highlight the writing.)

I suspect the 'd & f' abbreviation isn't much used except in
handwritten notes etc. There's a lot of information on the web
stressing how accurate printed descriptions and labelling should be
and I guess that means 'down and feather' is mostly spelt out in full.
 You'll find labelling rules and lots more about down and feather by
exploring sites from this search:


There's an illustrated explanation of the difference between down and
feather here:

I hope this is helpful. Please feel free to ask if this answer needs
any clarification.

Regards - Leli
There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy