Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: registrated nurse ( Answered,   0 Comments )
Subject: registrated nurse
Category: Miscellaneous
Asked by: mvm-ga
List Price: $10.00
Posted: 25 Sep 2002 14:44 PDT
Expires: 25 Oct 2002 14:44 PDT
Question ID: 69058
Where in Europe a registrated nurse can get an American license?

Request for Question Clarification by mvguy-ga on 25 Sep 2002 15:00 PDT
For which state(s) do you wish to registered as a nurse?
Subject: Re: registrated nurse
Answered By: wayga-ga on 26 Sep 2002 02:49 PDT
Hi mvm,

Nursing licensure in the US is regulated by the states and not the
federal government, and after looking at the websites of 10 state
Nursing Board's, I don't believe you can obtain a license in Europe.
Each state administers the test itself, although the same test is
given (the NCLEX-RN).

In the old days, the test was hand-marked, multiple choice, and given
to thousands of candidates across the nation on the same days. I took
mine over two days in the Tacoma Dome! Then came weeks of waiting for
the results to come in the mail.

Today the test is done on a computer terminal and can be scheduled on
a variety of dates and times and at various locations. You also find
out at the time of testing whether or not you passed.

For a foreign-educated nurse to obtain a license in most states they
must first take a screening exam called the Commission on Graduates of
Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS) Qualifying Exam, which predicts
success on the NCLEX. If you let me know what state you are
considering I will find out if that state requires this exam. This
exam is also part of the process of obtaining a visa to live and work
as a nurse in the US

The following websites will tell you all you need to know about the
process and you can download forms and/or apply online for both tests.

For the qualifying exam, Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing

For the NCLEX, National Council of State Boards of Nursing...

This page was weblinks and contact information for all US state
nursing boards.

I hope this answers your questions and please feel free to request
more info or clarification if needed.


Request for Answer Clarification by mvm-ga on 26 Sep 2002 07:47 PDT

Clarification of Answer by wayga-ga on 26 Sep 2002 09:11 PDT
Hi mvm, Wisconsin does indeed require that applicants from foreign
nursing schools take the qualifying exam administered by the
Commission on Graduates of
Foreign Nursing Schools.

Wisconsin Nursing Board

You can get online information at...

Or contact them at...

Bureau of Health Service Professions - R.N.
Department of Regulation and Licensing
1400 E. Washington Avenue
PO Box 8935
Madison WI  53708- 8935

Please let me know if you need any more information and thanks for
using GoogleAnswers.

There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy