Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: social security tax ( Answered 5 out of 5 stars,   0 Comments )
Subject: social security tax
Category: Business and Money > Employment
Asked by: thomasale-ga
List Price: $5.00
Posted: 26 Feb 2006 05:09 PST
Expires: 28 Mar 2006 05:09 PST
Question ID: 701112
How much can I earn in wages before social security begins to recover
$1 for every $2 earned and at what ages does it change?
Subject: Re: social security tax
Answered By: websearcher-ga on 26 Feb 2006 05:35 PST
Rated:5 out of 5 stars
Hello thomasale:

Thanks for the interesting question. 

The answer to your question revolves around what is the Full
Retirement Age (FRA) for you, which depends on the year you were born.
To find your FRA, go to the table at:

Find Your Retirement Age

If you are collecting Social Security payments *before* you reach your
FRA, the government will deduct $1 of benefits from every $2 you earn
over the stated annual limit. The annual limits are:

For 2005...$12,000
For 2006...$12,480 

During the year you reach your FRA, things change. At that point, the
government deducts $1 in benefits for every $3 you earn (in the months
before you actually reach your FRA) over a new set of annual limits.
The new limits are:

For 2005...$31,800 
For 2006...$33,240

After you actually reach your FRA, you can earn as much as you want
without any deductions to your benefits.

This information, and a handy calculator to help you figure it out,
can be found at:

How much can I earn and still receive Social Security benefits?

Search Strategy (on Google):
* "social security" deductions

I hope this helps. 

thomasale-ga rated this answer:5 out of 5 stars and gave an additional tip of: $2.50
thanks for the great site...I was looking for about 2 hrs yesterday
morning and stumbled on the site. I bookmarked and will be back having your own research group!

There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy