Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Taxes. ( Answered,   0 Comments )
Subject: Taxes.
Category: Business and Money
Asked by: blanco-ga
List Price: $10.00
Posted: 04 Mar 2006 12:20 PST
Expires: 03 Apr 2006 13:20 PDT
Question ID: 703594
If a husband and wife file married filing separatly when they do their
taxes, do they have to equally split their deductions such as property
tax paid or mortgage interest in Ohio?
Subject: Re: Taxes.
Answered By: richard-ga on 04 Mar 2006 13:23 PST
Hello and thank you for your question.

The IRS instructions give rules and examples for non-cummunity
property states like Ohio.  According to the IRS:

IF you paid ... property tax ...   AND you ...paid the tax on property
held as tenants by the entirety ...   THEN you can deduct on your
separate federal return ... the property tax you alone paid.
IF you paid ... mortgage interest ...  AND you ... paid the interest
on a qualified home held as tenants by the entirety ... THEN you can
deduct on your separate federal return ... the mortgage interest you
alone paid.
Publication 504

The IRS could have found a lot clearer way to put this, and limiting
the rule to people who own property as 'tenants by the entirety' makes
you wonder what the rule is for other types of ownership.

Here's the real answer:
1.  If only one of you owns your home, that's who needs to pay and
deduct the real estate tax.  And if only one of you is liable on the
mortgage, again that's who needs to pay and deduct the real estate
2.  Chances are you both own your home, either as tenants-in-common,
joint tenants or tenants by the entireties.  In all three cases,
you're both liable for the real estate tax, and you both signed the
mortgage.  That means each of you are legally obligated to pay the
taxes and interest.  But according to the IRS rule above, the person
who signed the check is the only person, technically, who can take
those deductions.

Here's the way another commentator puts it:
"You have to meet two criteria to claim a deduction for 
mortgage interest (and real estate taxes).  One, is that you 
are liable for the payment, and two, is that you actually 
MAKE the payment. 
"So, to the extent that YOU paid the mortgage, you claim the 
interest deduction.  To the extent that he paid it, he can 
claim the deduction.  If he paid none if it, that's how much 
of the deduction he can claim."
Barry Picker, CPA/PFS, CFP
Since if one of you itemizes you both must itemize, it's hard to
imagine the IRS caring if you allocate deductions in a different way
(especially if you allocate them 50:50), but that's the rule, and it's
not impossible that the IRS would want to see the cancelled check in
the course of an audit.

Your Ohio state income tax return will follow the federal

Search terms used:
"filing separately" deduction
ohio income tax

Thanks again for bringing us your question.

Google Answers Researcher
There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy