Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Donate artwork or give as a gift ( Answered 5 out of 5 stars,   5 Comments )
Subject: Donate artwork or give as a gift
Category: Reference, Education and News > General Reference
Asked by: kyraeh-ga
List Price: $10.00
Posted: 06 Mar 2006 03:00 PST
Expires: 05 Apr 2006 04:00 PDT
Question ID: 704136
Hello.  I am trying to learn more about donating artwork in a last
will and testiment, what are the factors to consider, or to donate
artwork as a gift in a will.  Thank you.
Subject: Re: Donate artwork or give as a gift
Answered By: richard-ga on 07 Mar 2006 06:06 PST
Rated:5 out of 5 stars
Hello and thank you for your question.

Assuming you're giving to a qualified charity, the choice is an income
tax deduction for a lifetime gift vs. an estate tax deduction for a
gift at death.

And that choice depends on which deduction is more useful to you.

For the income tax deduction, you'll need to itemize deductions (so
you'll have to forego the standard deduction and file the regular
long-form Form 1040).  You need to substantiate the value of the
property, and there's a limit on how much of a year's income the
deduction applies to, generally 30% of adjusted gross income.  If your
income is not big enough to allow the whole deduction to be used in
the year of the gift, a 5-year carryforward is available.
Read all about it here:

Missouri's income tax is a tax on adjusted gross income, and since
charitable gifts don't reduce adjusted gross income, they give no
state income tax benefit.

For the federal estate tax charitable deduction, there is a similar
substantiation requirement.  But don't forget, you only have to pay
estate tax if your estate (and unified lifetime gifts) exceeds $2
million.  And if you're leaving most of your estate to a surviving
spouse even that tax is deferred until the death of both of you.  So
if you're not quite wealthy ($4 million if you're married and have a
tax-wise estate plan; $2 million if you're single), there's no tax
benefit to the gift at death.
Read more here:,,id=108143,00.html

There is no Missouri estate tax.

Search terms used:
charitable gifts
Missouri income tax
Missouri estate tax

Thanks again for letting us help.

Google Answers Researcher

Clarification of Answer by richard-ga on 07 Mar 2006 07:42 PST
By the way, is there any museum or other place that displays artwork
that would be interested in receiving the gift?  You should talk to
such places in your community.  Otherwise the donee might only sell
what you give them, in which case you might be better off making the
sale yourself and making a gift of some or all of the proceeds.
kyraeh-ga rated this answer:5 out of 5 stars and gave an additional tip of: $2.00
Thank you!

Subject: Re: Donate artwork or give as a gift
From: canadianhelper-ga on 06 Mar 2006 09:44 PST
Please state your country and province/state of residence.
Subject: Re: Donate artwork or give as a gift
From: kyraeh-ga on 06 Mar 2006 14:20 PST
Country - USA  Thank you
Subject: Re: Donate artwork or give as a gift
From: pinkfreud-ga on 06 Mar 2006 14:42 PST
I doubt that this question can be well answered without knowing which
state you're in, but this might help a little. This page provides
detailed information on suggested language for bequests of artwork to
a museum in Cleveland, Ohio:
Subject: Re: Donate artwork or give as a gift
From: myoarin-ga on 06 Mar 2006 16:29 PST
Tax should also be a consideration:
Subject: Re: Donate artwork or give as a gift
From: kyraeh-ga on 07 Mar 2006 04:26 PST
Thank you - the state is Missouri

If there is not state specific information, is there other information
on how to make artwork donations to museums in general?

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy