Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: IRS info on internet ( Answered 4 out of 5 stars,   0 Comments )
Subject: IRS info on internet
Category: Business and Money > Accounting
Asked by: vaac-ga
List Price: $5.00
Posted: 08 Mar 2006 19:26 PST
Expires: 07 Apr 2006 20:26 PDT
Question ID: 705180
I wonder if I can get copies of my income tax returns for 2004 and
2005 and the IRS explantion why they refunded less than what I
claimed. I believe I never got this explanation, but wether I did or
not, I was too busy with my wife's and my sicknesses to follow up. On
top of this my computer broke down and I misplaced my papers.

If anybody knows how to get pertinent information from the internet
and at what cost, if any, I would appreciate to learn how to do this.
Subject: Re: IRS info on internet
Answered By: pafalafa-ga on 08 Mar 2006 19:59 PST
Rated:4 out of 5 stars

Call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 and they should be able to get you the
information you need, no charge!

Alternatively, there's a form you can fill out to make the request. 
It's all explained here:

Need a Copy of Your Tax Return Information? 

Requesting transcripts (individuals):

You have two easy and convenient options for getting copies of your
federal tax return information--tax return transcripts and tax account
transcripts--by phone or by mail.

Request transcripts by calling 1-800-829-1040, or order by mail using
IRS Form 4506T (Request for Transcript of Tax Return).   We do not
charge a fee for transcripts.   Allow two weeks for delivery.


A tax return transcript shows most line items from your tax return
(Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ) as it was originally filed, including any
accompanying forms and schedules.  It does not reflect any changes
you, your representative or the IRS made after the return was filed. 
In many cases, a return transcript will meet the requirements of
lending institutions such as those offering mortgages and for applying
for student loans.

A tax account transcript shows any later adjustments either you or the
IRS made after the tax return was filed.  This transcript shows basic
data, including marital status, type of return filed, adjusted gross
income and taxable income

A return transcript will have the basic information as you filed it. 
An account transcript will have information on any post-filing
changes, including changes made by the IRS to refund amounts, etc.

When you call, you should certainly inquire about the refund as well. 

Let me know if there's anything here you need clarified, or anything
else I can do for you.

Best of luck,


search strategy -- Google search on [ irs copies of returns ]

Request for Answer Clarification by vaac-ga on 09 Mar 2006 19:23 PST
Thanks for your answer. Can an account transcript also be requested on
form 4506t ? Is there a charge for obtaining these transcrips?

Clarification of Answer by pafalafa-ga on 09 Mar 2006 19:40 PST

Yep.  The actual Form 4506T includes a check-off box to request an
account transcript, as you can see here:

and best of all, no charge!  So if you haven't made the request yet,
then it might be time to get to it!



Request for Answer Clarification by vaac-ga on 15 Mar 2006 12:55 PST
I have downloaded form 4506T, and it says thereon that there will be a
charge for the trascripts. Do you happen to know approximately how

Clarification of Answer by pafalafa-ga on 15 Mar 2006 13:28 PST
Hello again.

I'm not sure what you're looking at regarding fees.

Near the top of the form, it says the following:

Tip: Use Form 4506-T to order a transcript or other return information
free of charge. See the product list below. You can also call
1-800-829-1040 to
order a transcript. If you need a copy of your return, use Form 4506,
Request for Copy of Tax Return. There is a fee to get a copy of your

A transcript -- which is an electronic version of the information on
your returns, rather than a photocopy of the return itself -- is free
of charge (for an actual photocopy, there is a charge, and you need a
different form, but my suggestion is to stick with the official IRS

Hope that's the information you need.

vaac-ga rated this answer:4 out of 5 stars
Thank you for your answer which seems to be very good.But I  cannot
delay rating it forever untill i have tried it out

There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy